Calculating Real Power Use by Accounting for Phase Shift - Energy Monitoring

morglum

Hey all,

I'm considering building an energy monitor using CTs for sensing the current and outputting a voltage ds2438's for reading the said voltage.

The problem is that power=voltage*amperage only works with resistive loads, not motors, fridges, etc.. (Awesome explanation here)

I would like to calculate the phase shift to allow me to determine the real power use of my appliances and the guy at the Open Energy Monitor does it by monitoring the voltage on an AC-AC transformer . I would like to monitor that 50Hz voltage with a DS2438 if possible, so I can use it too.

Question: How fast does the DS2438 update it's voltage readings?

If only once every second, I was thinking I could read it every 1.0002 seconds (every 50 and 1/100 of a period) , just to make sure I dont always read it at the same point in the period.

What do you think?
Thanks
Simon

Hey all,

I'm considering building an energy monitor using CTs for sensing the current and outputting a voltage ds2438's for reading the said voltage.

The problem is that power=voltage*amperage only works with resistive loads, not motors, fridges, etc.. (Awesome explanation here)

I would like to calculate the phase shift to allow me to determine the real power use of my appliances and the guy at the Open Energy Monitor does it by monitoring the voltage on an AC-AC transformer . I would like to monitor that 50Hz voltage with a DS2438 if possible, so I can use it too.

Question: How fast does the DS2438 update it's voltage readings?

If only once every second, I was thinking I could read it every 1.0002 seconds (every 50 and 1/100 of a period) , just to make sure I dont always read it at the same point in the period.

What do you think?
Thanks
Simon

Not an expert, but I would think that you would need to sample both current and voltage multiple times per cycle, ie several times more than 60 times per second.

The Brultech ECM-1240 that I use samples at 2000 time per second. http://www.brultech.com

tenholde

As you said, you can't just measure voltage and current and get accurate wattage. Many better monitors take this into consideration. Many cheaper ones don't, but since an average home gets pretty close to a unity powerfactor most of the time, it wouldn't be off much. But for accurate power, you need to take phase angle into account as well as voltage (RMS) and current (RMS).

As you said, you can't just measure voltage and current and get accurate wattage. Many better monitors take this into consideration. Many cheaper ones don't, but since an average home gets pretty close to a unity powerfactor most of the time, it wouldn't be off much. But for accurate power, you need to take phase angle into account as well as voltage (RMS) and current (RMS).

Hi,
That was exactly my question - is there a way to take phase into account using a second DS2438?
I just answered myself though: ds2438 can only measure DS current.
I'll go look at the arduino.

cheers

Hi,
That was exactly my question - is there a way to take phase into account using a second DS2438?

cheers
No. Your far better off using a designed for that purpose than attempting to build one out of parts. Even if you could get the phase angle of the current and voltage, if they weren't measured at the exact same time, it would be quite inaccurate.

Hi,

cheers

Hello Simon,

You need to stop thinking in terms of phase angle. A phase angle measurement will work in a perfect world where your supply voltage and current consumption are sinusoidal. I assure you this isn't the case in your home. Have a look at the end of the paper that you referenced "However a note about non-linear loads" explains why simple phase angle measurement won't work.

As previously mentioned, devices like the Kill-A-Watt and the Brultech operate by simultaneously sampling the voltage and current waveforms without regard to phase. This sampling is performed at 50 to 100 times the frequency of interest (in your case 50 hz). The samples are used to construct a VA (volt amp) curve over a period. Since the voltage and current measurements are simultaneous VA=Watts. The average power being consumed is then calculated by calculating the area of the VA curve over 1, or multiple, periods.

The sample rate, period measurement, and sample skew (time between Voltage and Current measurements) all affect the power measurement. You can construct a simple spreadsheet simulation to estimate these effects.

The plot below was constructed in Excel using the following formulas:

Voltage (120 V RMS)= 120/0.707 * Sin(2*Pi*f*t) Where f=60 Hz and t=0.0005 (2000 Hz sample rate)
Current (10 A RMS) = 10/0.707 * Sin(2*Pi*f*t)
VA (Instantaneous Power) = Voltage * Current (at each sample period).

Sampled_Power.jpg

Average Power calculation (area calculation) : Approximate the area under the curve for each instantaneous VA measurement

VA estimate = VA measured (height of the rectangles below) * 0.0005 (sample period: width of the rectangles below).
One cycle Average power = (Sum of VA measurements over 1 period)/ t (60 Hz period in seconds or 1/60)
Area_Calculation.jpg

Using the above technique, the spreadsheet calculates and average power of 1212 watts. The actual power is 1200 watts (error of 1%). The error is a combination of the area approximation (sample rate or "rectangle width") and the fact that the sample rate and wave form period do not align perfectly (calculation is performed over slightly less than 1 60 Hz period). Increasing the sample rate to 10,000 samples/sec produces a computed value of 1197.8 Watts (0.19 % error). This does not take into account sample skew (time delay between the voltage and current measurement).

I've gotten the impression that you want to proceed with this project regardless of whether there are existing devices available on the market. If that is the case, the above is the basic technique that is used. There are many other factors that will affect the accuracy of the measurement (A/D accuracy and resolution, noise (internal and external), and general component tolerances).

If you do proceed with this project, I would highly recommend that you buy an inexpensive "true power meter" that uses power factor correction (we use devices like the Kill-A-Watt in the States). These devices are reasonably accurate for "most" applications and serve as a reference while you are perfecting your device. No matter the outcome of your project (win, loose or draw) you will likely learn far more practical information than you'll get from a book.

Also - Rest assured that this technique is far easier than the old electro-mechanical solution (unless you happen to be an expert in magnetic field theory and material properties).

IM

Awesome post there- thanks for it.

I'm really not sure I want to build it given that TED goes for only 200$, but being able to monitor all the breakers is what has me interested.

The open energy monitor , whichs uses an arduino board seems to be a good and relatively cheap option. It monitors both the current and the voltage and seems to have a pretty high sample rate.

Thinking about sticking with just a kill-a-watt for now though. Summer is here, I'd rather be messing with the garden B)

Back