Camera view through glass window.

mikefamig

A question for the group. This may be a dumb question but my mind was wandering and.......

I have a couple of locations where it would be great if I could mount a video camera inside the building looking out through a window. It woks prety well in the daylight with only occasional glare but the IR night vision just reflects back at the lens blinding it.

Has anyone tried to use a polarized adapter to defeat the reflection/glare like they do with still image cameras annd sun glasses. Has it been done? Is there any way to improve a video camera's view through a window?

Mike.

I should have mentioned above that I know that I can turn off the IR lamps but I still get glare from any outside lights. I'm thinking that a combination of polarizer and maybe electronic depth of field could eliminate the glare on the glass.

Mike.

Found a couple of articles relating to polarizing filters.

For behind a glass window folks have used a CPL (circular polarizer/linear).

hxxps://mygobe.com/explore/why-cpl-filter/

Testing polarizing filters on HD cameras

hxxps://ipvm.com/reports/testing-polarizing-filters?code=ipc

Tinkering with wireless analog cameras in the 1990s connected an analog camera to a Netier box and used first generation wireless for transport.

I put the concoction in the back yard shed and the camera in the window of the shed.  It worked OK for me.  No filters or IR illumination on the camera at that time.

The shed was around 100 feet from the back of the two story home.  I put a WiFi antenna on the roof.  I built a second setup using another Netier box in the garage and put the camera under the eave of the detached garage (no glass). 

I have used circular polarizer on still image cameras and they are very effective at removing glare but I haven't seen a video surveillance cam that offered one as an option. I've never seen a video cam that had a threaded lens to allow for any sort of adapter.

Mike.

Have you tried using an IR illuminator outdoors and keeping the camera indoors with the IR off? I haven’t done that but imagine it would help although probably not perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TrojanHorse said:
Have you tried using an IR illuminator outdoors and keeping the camera indoors with the IR off? I haven’t done that but imagine it would help although probably not perfect. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's interesting but it would take some mod of the camera hardware to trigger the outside IR.

Mike.

The OS on my IP HD cameras allow for auto IR illumination or bypassing it for manual.

When tinkering a few years back with camera boards found a place in the UK that sold lenses of various lense types using stock mounting. 

I would test the camera lenses and board outside of the camera housing, adjust it and then install it in the camera housing.

I posted here on one blog about my tinkering and retrofits of camera board with or without IR illuminators.

I kept purchasing the same type OS boards at the time which typically cost just under $100 per board (double sized).  Today they are single 38mm square board that have many functions (little computers). 

The supplier of the boards gave gave me software to be able to adjust the GUI and graphics in the OS at the time. 

I had purchased a few old new stock Speco dome cameras and found a source for plastic domes (and glass domes).

speco.jpg

Back