CCTV RG6 Power injection-extraction

pete_c

Guru
I am looking to inject power/extract power for a new camera with just a RG6 connection and wondering if I could use the item in the picture to do that?

Currently my CCTV stuff uses RG6 / Siamese cable or CAT5 balums with power. Is there another way or device that will let me do this?

AM8001.jpg

I would suspect that this could be used to inject and extract DC power but am not 100% sure. you would point the blocking cap (left port in the picture) towards the camera and the capture card/display device. Also measure polaritys as this will short out the the shield of the RG cable to your DC Positive wire if you miswire it.... ALSO if you do go this route be sure to MEASURE the DC voltage with a meter before terminating ether end after the extractor/injector to be sure it is sending the power the correct direction and wont damage your equipment.

Thanks Mustangcoupe. I would check the voltage before connecting the camera. Has anyone on the forum every tried this with an RG6 cable?

I will be interested in how this unit works out. It could be a good (may be low cost) alternative to cat5 balums with power. The left port in the picture is signal and the right port is signal+dc. Essentially, one would need two of these units and a power supply for each camera.

Today I use both Cat5 baluns and RG6/Siamese for my security cams. Both methods have worked well for me. Ordered pair of these to see if it works.

Back