[CES] 2007 Exclusive Update - MICROSOFT

BraveSirRobbin

CES 2007 Exclusive Update - Microsoft

Notice: Please be aware that information gathered from the various vendors’ booths was done at an incredibly fast and furious pace. The purpose of these updates is to make our members aware of the new technologies introduced during the show as quickly as possible. Some details and statements may have been (unintentionally) misinterpreted and thus not be entirely correct/accurate during this process.

No CES visit would be complete without a stop at Microsoft’s booth. While there I saw some "portable" devices that were made to work with the new "SideShow" feature that is included with certain versions of the Microsoft Vista operating system.

One device which looked like a small credit card, would let you display and control various "downloaded" media via BlueTooth from your computer (when you are in range of the BlueTooth network).

(Click on Picture for Full Sized Image)

Another device would let you interact with the Media Center interface via a remote that would not interfere with the program that one may be currently watching (while you changed program settings with the remote).

One other device that caught my eye was a picture frame that let you display digital images (wirelessly) from your computer.

I'm not that familiar with this new SideShow feature and included THIS brochure (in PDF format) that they were distributing at this booth.

One of the other big announcements from MSFT was their Windows Home Server. In addition to providing features like automated backups, journaling, and remote access, it will be able to run third-party apps that run on Windows Server. The GM for this product line has said that he sees home automation being one of the types of applications that could run on the device. This would provide an 'appliance' type platform for a home automation server.

http://channel9.msdn.com/showpost.aspx?postid=270965

[Disclaimer: I work for Intel, one of the companies that provided reference designs for Windows Home Server at CES.]

BSR,

Did you get any photos of the Z-Wave demonstration (Leviton VIZIA RF Foyer based on SPOT technology) at the Microsoft booth?

Chris

ChrisWalker said:
BSR,

Did you get any photos of the Z-Wave demonstration (Leviton VIZIA RF Foyer based on SPOT technology) at the Microsoft booth?
Hi Chris;

Sorry, but I didn't see this display. The Microsoft area was very large and very crowded! <_<

Back