CocoonTech.com & advertising

Would you support carefully selected advertising?

• Yes, I totally understand and support this decision

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, I don't understand why it is needed but support this decision

• No, but I would still visit this site

• No, it would convince me to stop visiting this site

• Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I say go for advertising. I though you should have been accepting advertising for a long time.

I've always supported this idea. I'm not sure how you survived this long without some type of income. As long as the ads don't render the site unusable I am all for it.

I too support it. This site has value for me. I'm on another site and they have ads and they have 'donation based memberships'. The only difference on the donation is that each month the donators are eligible for the montly give-aways.

The reason I would like to see advertisements is so you can provide us with more product reviews and How-Tos. Sometimes you can't get certain products for free and you have to purchase them in order to do a simple review. Perhaps if you made enough money you could put a little bit back into the community doing things such as contest and the above.

Also, I'd like to see you start attending some of the trade shows such as EHX and representing CocoonTech. Perhaps sharing a booth with Martin. You could then attract new manufactures to participate in CocoonTech.

Do it!

You should have done it long ago. I have used Google Ads on some of my sites before, easy to setup and not a bad deal. You can specify text or graphical ads, and restrict content on them.

The reason I would like to see advertisements is so you can provide us with more product reviews and How-Tos. Sometimes you can't get certain products for free and you have to purchase them in order to do a simple review. Perhaps if you made enough money you could put a little bit back into the community doing things such as contest and the above.

Also, I'd like to see you start attending some of the trade shows such as EHX and representing CocoonTech. Perhaps sharing a booth with Martin. You could then attract new manufactures to participate in CocoonTech.

I think Dan would have to clone himself first.. hehehe

John

John

In that case, I humbly submit myself to be a representative of CocoonTech at trade shows and such (working under the assumption that advertising dollars are paying my way) ;)

John

Dan has been invited to every EhExpo show we do. I wish he would take me up on it!

Yes, I also support the idea of CT having a more steady source of revenue to help support this great board that Dan has put his own time and money into for the last 4 years. Although many of us have helped support the board, Dan is a hard guy to get to accept help but he's the first guy to get in line to help you.

I don't mind if some of our competitors get a chance to advertise here at all. We need to look at the greater good - CT!

-Martin

I think you should put some HA related ads up here. The one suggestion that I would warn against is the membership to post idea. One of the great strengths of this site is its ability to help "noobs" figure out what this whole home automation thing is about. I don't think it would be a good idea to hamper that effort by making them pay to play. After all they haven't been around and don't know the value of this site yet. Most wouldn't pay the $5 or what ever it is to ask their question and that would drive down traffic and stop some interesting threads.

Just my .02

Chris

Agreed, what you can do though is put the marketplace in a pay to play area. This way your search indexing and general postings will be uneffected, the good deals found will pay off the membership costs in the first purchase.

I don't think anyone will mind advertising if it is light hearted and fun. Maybe something with cavemen, or college coeds who have "gone wild" for some reason.

I don't think anyone will mind advertising if it is light hearted and fun. Maybe something with cavemen, or college coeds who have "gone wild" for some reason.

"Automaters Gone Wild Vol. IV - UNCENSORED" - Watch this exciting NEW! DVD as Jack the newbie turns on his lights manually. Oh, the humanity! What will they do next.

"Automaters Gone Wild Vol. IV - UNCENSORED" - Watch this exciting NEW! DVD as Jack the newbie turns on his lights manually. Oh, the humanity! What will they do next.

Sounds like Squintz is working up a new business model ;)

No need to worry about having to pay for posting. This community is nothing without you guys, my main goal is to be able to offer more, not less. I am hoping once things calm down at work in the next few weeks, I can restart work on CT 2.0, and start sharing some details of some of the new features you guys are going to love. Thanks again for the support!

I'd pay for college coeds.............. oh wait wrong site :lol:

JUST KIDDING!

Back