connecting ElkM1TWA to M1 Gold

gasbie

Sorry for all these questions. I'm a newbie. I'm kinda confused on how the M1 output works. So, I connected J4 from my M1TWA to J16 on M1 control using the 12 ribbon cable. I placed a jumper on OVERIDE 11, 12 , 13. Correct me if I'm wrong, this means that I can't use output 7 thru 13 on the M1 control for another peripherals. I'm basically left with output 14 thru 16 on the M1 control, right? Now, on the M1TWA I can diasy chain it to another peripheral such as M1RB. So, if i connect M1RB to the M1TWA, does that mean that I will one be able to use just 3 relays off the M1RB? If that is true, what is my other alternative of powering the remaining relays? thanks

If you connected a M1RB to the TWA, then yes, only the relays corresponding to outputs 14-16 would be useful.

Rather than use a M1RB, I would just connect Elk 924 relays to those 3 outputs.

A less expensive alternative to the 924 relay would be the 12V opto-isolated relays you can find on eBay, similar to this one .

Thanks for coming thru again RAL. So with that one on eBay, I will connect one of the output off the M1 control (14, 15 or 16) to the IN screw on this relay? Then I can write an ELK rule to control the relay, right?

Also, I'm just wondering if there is a way for elk m1 control to detect the status of the ELK124. for example, if m1 has to make any annoucement, it knows to turn on the ELKM1TWA amp and broadcast the message. Meaning that if the amp is not on at the time of the broadcast, elk knows to turn it on, and if it is already on, it knows not to do anything. Does elk 124 have similar concept where elk knows to turn it on when custom message needs to be broadcasted and off when not is use. Or am I thinking too far with this?

gasbie said:
Thanks for coming thru again RAL. So with that one on eBay, I will connect one of the output off the M1 control (14, 15 or 16) to the IN screw on this relay? Then I can write an ELK rule to control the relay, right?

Also, I'm just wondering if there is a way for elk m1 control to detect the status of the ELK124. for example, if m1 has to make any annoucement, it knows to turn on the ELKM1TWA amp and broadcast the message. Meaning that if the amp is not on at the time of the broadcast, elk knows to turn it on, and if it is already on, it knows not to do anything. Does elk 124 have similar concept where elk knows to turn it on when custom message needs to be broadcasted and off when not is use. Or am I thinking too far with this?

Yes, you would connect the Elk's Outputs 14-16 to the IN terminals on the relay boards, then control them with rules, just like any other M1 output.

Normally, you would just leave the power to the 124 and TWA on all the time.  If the 124 doesn't have speakers connected and you just use the line out to drive the TWA, the 124's power should be fairly low.  The power required by the TWA can be as high as 1000 mA, but only when it's generating high volumes.

But if you really wanted to control and sense the power status of the Elk 124 board or the TWA, I guess you could control the 12VDC power to them with relays controlled by additional M1 outputs and then test the state of the output in a rule to tell whether it is on or not. But the rules could get rather complicated with different events that make announcements and deciding when to turn power to the 124 and TWA on and off.

Is there some other reason you would want to control the power to them?

Not really. Just trying to using the speakers in my house for both ELKM1TWA and ELK124 thru relay just like "bucko" did. Also, do you have any idea on how I can automate my washing machine and dryer chime to get announced whenever the dryer/washing machine cycle is completed? 

Ok, so you really want to control the what the speakers are connected to (either the 124 or the TWA), rather than the power to those devices?

I think this is bucko's configuration that you are referring to, right?  If so, then you can check the state of the M1 output that controls the speaker relays in a rule to see if you need to change it.   I think in most cases, all you need to do is switch the speakers to the 124 each time the 124 needs to make an announcement, then switch the speakers back to the TWA.  No need to check the state each time.

For the washer and dryer, the first thing that comes to mind is to use a current sense switch to tell whether the washer or dryer is drawing power or not.  Something like a Veris Hawkeye H800 or Functional Devices RIBXK  are two choices.  You just run one of the AC power wires through the center of the device. You can usually find them on eBay or from distributors for $20 to $30.

[edit]: Fixed the link to the RIBXK

Back