Considering changing from Z-Wave with Elk

andygee

I currently have a Z-Wave network setup using the RZC0P interface to the Elk. I don't have much invested in the modules yet and the ones I do have are very slow to respond. Almost to the point of thinking they aren't going to come on. I also had a Z-Wave thermostat but had so many problems with it working and responding that I changed that out for a wired RCS thermostat. Most of the modules that I have are Intermatic so I'm wondering if it's just those units or if the performance on them is typical.

Any suggestions or ideas? If I can't get some better performance out of it them I'm considering swapping to either UPB or Insteon. I don't think that I will ever replace the door locks to need to keep the Z-wave but I know it's "more open" and supported by many vendors.

Thanks,

Andy

This might be of interest:
http://www.cocoontech.com/portal/articles/news/18-z-wave/438-updated-z-wave-firmware-bug

I can't comment on Zwave because we typically use other solutions.

I haven't heard of too many success stories about this combo, but I am in process of trying this myself (just need to reboot the M1 when I have time, so it can scan for Z-Wave devices).

I haven't heard of too many success stories about this combo, but I am in process of trying this myself (just need to reboot the M1 when I have time, so it can scan for Z-Wave devices).

Are you running any other lighting controls currently with M1, insteon or upb?

Andy

Dan, you don't need to reboot M1, only the M1XSP to get it to scan for devices.

Are you running any other lighting controls currently with M1, insteon or upb?

Andy
I am running UPB. As long as the ID's don't overlap, I don't expect any real problems.

I would have to use a screwdriver to undo 2 terminal screws in order to just power the XSP, which I would rather not do.

I had tried rebooting the M1XSP and it did not work with the T-Stat I had set up (I could control the stat but not see the temp at the stat). I went over and over it with a Distributor Tech support and they had me reboot the panel and it saw the T-Stat temp in ELK-RMS. They had told me to reboot from the begining but I did not believe it would work. That was for the Intermatic Stat.

For the 2GIG stat I was never able to get the Stat temp to display in RMS. I might try again since I have a customer begging me to find a way to get that STAT to work.

Overall, I am very happy with Vizia+ switches and Elk VRC0P/M1XSP combination. The switches do cost considerably more than Intermatic Z-Wave products. Vizia+ has a large selection of switches, controllers, and plug-in modules. I’ve had ten switches installed for past 18 months. I am planning on installing six more along with a 4-button scene controller.

I haven’t experienced any of the slow response – especially if I use a group command.

I do like the paddle design, five year warranty, replaceable faceplates, and overall durability. I don’t like the dimmer action or that status light is placed on bottom. For lights that are not located near the switch, I have to bobble my head sideways to determine if light is on.

I tried to get the 2Gig thermostat installed, but I could not get ControlThink to include the thermostat. I purchase OmniStat2 instead and installed (returned the 2Gig thermostat).

Back