Cooling Fan for HA Closet

jlokanis

Hi,

I'm looking for a cooling fan for my future HA closet. I figure with all the gear I plan to have setup and running in there, I am going to generate some heat.

What I want to get is some sort of quiet bathroom fan that has a temp sensor in it. Since my closet is on an outside wall, I plan to vent directly out the wall and use a dryer vent louver on the outside wall. Cool air will enter via a slotted panel in the bottom of the closet door.

Anyone know a good source for this kind of fan?

Thanks,

-John

Is this a new build or existing? If new build, why not just put an HVAC supply/return in there? That's what I'm doing in my new house. Separate dampered supply that I can shut off when the heat is on.

Well, I expect the temp in the closet to exceed the normal house temp due to the 2-3 PCs I plan for the room. So, I figured that pulling room air into the closet and exhausting hot air to the outside would be my best approach. That is why I planned to have the door vented on the bottom and place the fan near the top of the room.

I don't have air conditioning in the house, just a gas furnace. Up here in the PNW, AC is really a waste of $$.

Anyways, I'm just looking for a bathroom fan with a temp sensor. I have seen them with humidity sensors, but not temp sensors.

-John

John, at the EHX show there was a vendor selling exactly what u r looking for. I grabbed their lit, which is at home.. I am sitting an an airport surfing with my AirCard. Cool stuff.

When I get back, I'll post the co's info.
They had many diff types, but the one's that sound like what u r looking for are inline fan blowers that are attached to 6 inch diameter flex hose. I think the motors are slowed down for silence as they are intended for theater rooms. You might find their name in the EHX exhibitor directory for Spring 06 in Orlando.

You could always put a light dimmer on a Bath room fan and bring it to 25% run. Use a temp sensor like 1 wire to measure temp. An Elk to do the logic (or MainLobby or other HA software).

Or you can use this to turn the fan on and off. Maybe not the least expensive, but would work. Temp sensor contact monitored by Elk and turn fan on/off via PLC.

Thanks guys! Lots of great options. I think the Broan unit and a bathroom fan combo will do what I want for the best price.

The other units look like a good option for when I do the home theatre install (many years down the line after we move into the new house and get finaces under control.)

-John

If you want quiet bathroom fans, try the panasonic line. I have both the Broan and Panasonic in my house.

I put a panasonic FV-07VQ2 in my wiring closet and ducted it as it was a bathroom fan.

http://www.panasonic.com/CONSUMER_ELECTRON...-07VQ2_Spec.pdf

I also put louvered doors on the closet so there was sufficient air flow.

Also, I mounted a standard single gang box about 1 foot from the top of the ceiling in the closet. I had planned on finding a baseboard thermostat to control the fan. I haven't had any heating issues yet, so right now the fan is just on a switch by the light, but I figure this will work and do what I (and you) need.

Just some other thoughts.

lz

you guys are on the right track, as this is very often what is done when my co. (I do HVAC in NYC suburbs, lots of office re-vamps) does small IT closets . . . just beware small fans + small ducts or long duct runs. . . you'll never get even close the rated CFM . . .

. . . and bigger is better here, especially if your dumping conditioned air (read: paid for in A/C or heat) to the outside . . . the quicker the stat satisfies, the better . . .

. . . might even pay to switch, with extra duct and manual dampers, or reroute a bit of flex duct, for the heating season, to dump the hot air inside . . .

. . . if you can get to an outside wall, a (winter time) cold air intake w/ a backdraft damper would keep things real cool . . . but the closet should be insulated . . .

Pete C

PS. Randy, the A/C to the closet might sound good, but unless you put the stat in there it doesn't do much good . . . the heat loads aren't compatible . . . the seperate fan w/ it's own stat is a better option . . .

Back