COSMOD2W System Sensor Maintenance Zone Question

Hi desmolift, I'd be glad to but it's been so long I'm afraid it's escaped my brain. I'll give it a look though soon and see if I can't figure it out. Based on RSW686's comments that sounds about right to me.

1) Fire is standard 24hr fire, and CO is 24 hr CO...nothing fancy going on there.

I didn't use any third party relays in my setup at all...outside wiring up a doorbell to my panel, but that's something else entirely.

The rest of it will have to wait until I get a chance to go back over it, it's been a while but I think you're on the right track!

Best,
Adam

amikolajczyk said:
Hi desmolift, I'd be glad to but it's been so long I'm afraid it's escaped my brain. I'll give it a look though soon and see if I can't figure it out. Based on RSW686's comments that sounds about right to me.

1) Fire is standard 24hr fire, and CO is 24 hr CO...nothing fancy going on there.

I didn't use any third party relays in my setup at all...outside wiring up a doorbell to my panel, but that's something else entirely.

The rest of it will have to wait until I get a chance to go back over it, it's been a while but I think you're on the right track!

Best,
Adam

No problem Adam.  Appreciate the look.  The trigger outs were the ones really throwing me for a loop because I couldn't see how to trigger out CO.  But it seems folks are saying this is not needed.

The triggers server two purposes. One is to allow the smoke / CO sounders to be set off if a different zone (say a heat detector or fire panic button) is tripped and the panel alarms. The second is to allow silencing the sounders when a smoke / CO has been set off. When a fire or CO alarm occurs on the COSMOD2W module it automatically sets off the smoke / CO sounders.

From looking at the DSC manual there is no PGM trigger for a CO alarm. So you will not be able to silence the sounders for a CO alarm. If your only CO detectors are connected to the module they will all sound anyway so this isn't a big deal. You can just issues a *72 sensor reset to stop the CO alarm.

rsw686 said:
4. PGM1 and 2 are not the same. PGM2 has a 300ma output capability. You want to wire the module + to the DSC panel Aux + and the module - to the DSC panel PGM2. Set the PGM to type 03 sensor reset.

Does this mean you are limited to only two COSMO-2W's, 181mA for COSMOD2W plus 50mA per COSMO-2W?  For more you need to add a power supply and high current PGM's?

desmolift said:
Does this mean you are limited to only two COSMO-2W's, 181mA for COSMOD2W plus 50mA per COSMO-2W?  For more you need to add a power supply and high current PGM's?

It does state 50mA is the max for alarm for the COSMO-2W. My friends setup had mainly the  2WTA-B detectors which state 30 mA for the 2WTA-B in alarm; 12 mA for all other 2WTA-B units on the loop. Anyway the COSMOD2W states 181mA max but 121mA for 12v, which is confusing. Maybe the best thing to do would be to test with a multi-meter to see the actual draw in alarm.

You could just activate a relay with the PGM and use the DSC Aux+ to the C terminal and connect the COSMOD2W to the NO. If the relay failed the zones would go into a trouble condition.

You'll love this.  The former Alarm company installed the Cosmo's on my Bosch system,  they added 6 Cosmo's to 7 2WTA-B's. So I have a total of 13 in a loop totaling around 700mA of power consumption in CO and smokes alone.  Adding motion detectors, temperature sensors, zone expander, 2 keypads, rf and internet, thats an additional 600mA.  But they added a SMP3 power supply with backup plus two RB5 relays(these were wired to the triggers).  So I'm thinking I'll power the COSMO's from the SMP3 with one of the RB5's from PGM2.  The motion detectors, etc. can be powered from the AUX +.

Now I have to figure out how to wire the RB5.  I believe its double pole double throw.  I think, PGM2 would go to NEG-, SMP3 to POS+, POS side C connected to POS+, COSMOD2W + connected to NO?  Doesn't this require PGM2 to be active all the time?

desmolift said:
Now I have to figure out how to wire the RB5.  I believe its double pole double throw.  I think, PGM2 would go to NEG-, SMP3 to POS+, POS side C connected to POS+, COSMOD2W + connected to NO?  Doesn't this require PGM2 to be active all the time?

When PGM2 is set to option 03 sensor reset it will be activate all the time and reset for 5 seconds when *72 is entered. The relay coil should be between Aux + and PGM2. The SMP3 + goes to the relay C and the relay NO goes to the COSMOD2W +. The SMP3 - goes to the COSMOD2W -. This way the relay coil is powered by the DSC and the relay is switching the power from the SMP3 to the COSMOD2W module.

Yes.  This is cleaner and more correct and thanks for clarifying how sensor reset works.  Now will the BELL(+) be ok directly connected to the COSMOD2W Bell IN?  I assume Bell(-) must go to COSMOD2W (-) ?

desmolift said:
Yes.  This is cleaner and more correct and thanks for clarifying how sensor reset works.  Now will the BELL(+) be ok directly connected to the COSMOD2W Bell IN?  I assume Bell(-) must go to COSMOD2W (-) ?
The bell + goes to the bell in. The DSC Aux - and SMP3 - should be connected together.

rsw686 said:
The bell + goes to the bell in. The DSC Aux - and SMP3 - should be connected together.
Yes the GNDs need to be connected together.  You are saying I do not need to connect Bell(-), leave it open because Bell(-) is already connected to GND internally.

Back