Crestron via HTTP

stacyh3

Is it possible to control a Crestron A/V system via HTTP? The goal would be to use a device that can talk simple HTTP/REST to send scene commands of some sort. I'm new to the Crestron world, so I may need help refining the question. I have seen the documents on a Crestron SDK for .NET. That would be okay because I could write a simple "gateway service" from ASP.NET that I could access from the device, but is there a better, more direct way? Java is out since the device doesn't support Java, just simple sockets or HTTP.

Thanks!
Stacy

Need a little more info. Is this an existing system, or did you get a processor and want to be able to control it.

Is it possible to control a Crestron A/V system via HTTP? The goal would be to use a device that can talk simple HTTP/REST to send scene commands of some sort. I'm new to the Crestron world, so I may need help refining the question. I have seen the documents on a Crestron SDK for .NET. That would be okay because I could write a simple "gateway service" from ASP.NET that I could access from the device, but is there a better, more direct way? Java is out since the device doesn't support Java, just simple sockets or HTTP.

Thanks!
Stacy

To my knowledge, which is not professional level, it depends on the processor. If it were a 2-series with an enet card, your could 'talk' to it, however, there would be an amount of SIMPL (or SIMPL+) programming that would be small or large depending on what you wanted the processor to do based on the commands you wanted to send.

It seems there may already be some SIMPL/SIMPL+ modules that may provide a more 'open' interface and you might check over in the crestron group on yahoo.

In my older CNMSX series processor, I can talk to the process via ethernet, but it is not very reliable and I have to have code for each thing I want to handle. For example, I have a light controller, that issues a command (text string) over an IP connection to my crestron unit. In the program for the crestron unit, I have program logic that accepts the input and performs something (e.g. turn off something in the AV system).

All this being, more information is certainly required. Also sounds like the original installer could be the best resource.

WE

I guess the next question is "What are you trying/wanting to accomplish?" Is this a system in a conference room that controls projection and lighting? How is it controlled now? Touchpanel? Handheld?

Back