Dell 15" Touchscreen Monitors for $249!!!!

Sacedog

Dell is selling their 15" touchscreen monitors, in their outlet store for $249. The monitors are refurbished, but carry the same factory warranty as the new ones.

1) Go to the inventory page at the outlet store: http://outlet.us.dell.com/ARBOnlineSales/t...;l=en&s=dfb

2) Click the "Stockrooms" drop-down list, and select "Dell Monitor"

3) Scroll down toward the bottom to see the touchscreens.

Here are the quick specs:

1024x768 @ 60hz
400:1 contrast ratio
220 cd/m2 brightness
25ms response time
5-wire analog resistive touch technology
VGA & USB connections

Not the greatest specs, but one amazing price. We purchase items for work from the outlet a lot, and have been very pleased with the quality.

Specwise, can you fill me on what's low end about them - specificaly which would be non-optimal in a touchscreen env? Sorry i haven't kept up with the technology -can't remember if lcd's need the high refresh rates i used to expect on large crts...

My viewsonics are 8ms i think... but would 25 ms be noticable?

thx
-brad

Resistive touch, does that mean it will work with a finger? That and decent resolution are about all I care. Using a pen in not acceptable to me...

Thanks,
Vaughn

Specwise, can you fill me on what's low end about them - specificaly which would be non-optimal in a touchscreen env? Sorry i haven't kept up with the technology -can't remember if lcd's need the high refresh rates i used to expect on large crts...

My viewsonics are 8ms i think... but would 25 ms be noticable?

thx
-brad

Not for a HA touch panel. It would be noticable for gaming, or if you were refreshing the screen constantly (like dragging objects around). Mainstreem LCDs that were sold about 2-3 years ago were not as fast as they are today, and they were typically rated around 25ms.

As for contrast and brightness, the contrast ratio is decent for a touchscreen, but the brightness could be a bit better IMO. I can't say for sure, as I have not seen one in person, but I don't think you could go wrong with one of these. I think they would make a very nice touch panel.

Remember though, that these are just the display and input; you still need a computer to drive it.

Resistive touch, does that mean it will work with a finger? That and decent resolution are about all I care. Using a pen in not acceptable to me...

Thanks,
Vaughn

Yes, resistive touch means that you can use a finger.

Do you think this monitor's specs would be adequate for watching full screen TV?

Well, the monitor does not have a composite video input, so you would not be able to hook it into a traditional video source (cable, dvd, etc.). If you mean full screen TV on a computer with a TV card, it would probably be fine...however, it all depends on how you define adequate. :D

I have been using two of these Dell E153FPT touchscreens for a few years now. Highly recommended. Nice quality, attractive, very stable, and they sit low on a desktop.

Dell stopped making them, so they are hard to find. Thanks for the heads-up - I just bought another one.

Mark

What do yall think about those add on touchscreens? The ones you lay over an lcd? Are those viable or should I just completely ignore them. Older customers might like to see a larger screen, wonder if the layovers are available in 17"?

ELO makes them in various sizes. You can get them for cheap on ebay... I saw them, but for the in-wall flush, i don't think you want to deal with two seperate pieces...

Back