Dell 15" Touchscreen Monitors for $249!!!!

shenandoah, thats kinda what i was thinking. for under 200 i can get the whole touchscreen so why bother with all the add on ones.

thanks!

ps. your pretty active here and i read all your posts.

shen, LOL. modesty is a GREAT virtue.

OK, am I right to assume that I can use an USB touchscreen instead of a serial? advantage/disdvantage?

I'm really interested in Dave's feedback...

i was looking at the refurb one ($199 http://www.pacificgeek.com/product.asp?id=...=232&S=1121 - cheeper at geeks but they are out of stock and pacific geeks won't match out of stock items...

on usb vs serial, i think either is fine. I was thinking about putting some of those keystone USB jacks ina wall plate so i quickly connect a keyboard/mouse if i ever needed to at the touchscreen location. In which case, maybe a usb hub with one wire back to the pc would be good?

-brad

Brad, I purchased 4 or so of the planar's for use as MainLobby demo touchscreens for trade shows. One can never have enough touchscreens at a trade show ;)

Overall, they work very nicely. Not the prettiest plastic case, but the electronics work well. For the price, unbeatable.

Mine came with some pretty long (20ft?) serial and VGA cables which is nice. I use them now to burn in Cinemar servers after build (inbetween show duties).

Thx David... Ya - that case (and logo) is (are) ugly - won't be around long... i'm pulling it out and mounting in wall as per my other thread ;)

My quick review of Planar-PT1503NT 15" touch screen, by Event 5 Dave,

http://cgi.ebay.com/Planar-PT1503NT-White-...1QQcmdZViewItem

After downloading the touch screen drivers and loading ML on it. The Picture and touch look and feel ok. Main Lobby seems to work fine with it. If you don't mind the "90s" wide white bezel it looks fine. Built in speakers. Anyway, for building up an Interface between MainLobby and my Midi driven Harpsichord, it was the right price, seems to work well, and looks ok to me.

I found it locally from a store, new, and they beat the Dell deal by $10

Event5
Dave

Ok Dave, so tell us how MainLobby is going to interface with a Midi Harpsicord? "pluck" strings in ML? That should make for an interesting looking UI ;)

Quite an amazing piece of machinry... Actually the plan is for the touch screen to have various composers or types of music and under each composer or music there would be titles. As titles are sellected they would be listed in a que and begin to play one at time. I would have Play, Pause, stop, cancle, etc...
The Harpsichord plays by a bank of solenoids driving the notes. The solenoids are driven by a midi interface board, and the ML computer gives a midi output to the midi board. ML will need to be able to start a sellected midi file when requested and keep track of a play list as items are added or subtracted.

I actuall want it to also play a tune when I enter the house as a welcome. This would be conditional response to my entry as I do not want it to play if it is late and my wife is sleeping.

Dave

Quite an amazing piece of machinry... Actually the plan is for the touch screen to have various composers or types of music and under each composer or music there would be titles. As titles are sellected they would be listed in a que and begin to play one at time. I would have Play, Pause, stop, cancle, etc...
The Harpsichord plays by a bank of solenoids driving the notes. The solenoids are driven by a midi interface board, and the ML computer gives a midi output to the midi board. ML will need to be able to start a sellected midi file when requested and keep track of a play list as items are added or subtracted.

I actuall want it to also play a tune when I enter the house as a welcome. This would be conditional response to my entry as I do not want it to play if it is late and my wife is sleeping.

Dave

okay, this is totally off topic discussion, but I demand a showcase topic showing your harpsichord :)

Are these 4 wire resistive? If so, and anyone is interested in a conversion kit that would make this (or any other 4-wire touch monitor) compatible with the NComputing L200, let me know. I am considering offering this. It would require some hacking and soldering...

-Dwayne (TouchTronix)

I'm sorry for using bandwith for this off topic post but here is me tuning my harpsichord for a concert. I will post a showcase topic when the project is completed.
Harpsichord_Tunning_For_a_Concert.jpg

Back