Distributing RG6

RandyKnight

I'm in the process of prewiring my new house and have put in a secondary wiring location since the house is pretty big. My plan is to put an Elk DBH and Zone Expander in the can as well as an Ethernet hub. I'll run a "backbone" between this location and the main location.

Questons:

1. Can I distribute RG6 for satellite, etc. the same way through splitters or do I need to home run all of it to where the LNB drops will come down?

2. I put in a 12" can for this location. It will house a DBH, zone expander, ethernet switch, and whatever modules I need for voice and video distribution (based on the answer to #1 above). Is this can going to be big enough?

1.) The new dishes will only have 4 LNB connections coming out of a multiswitch built into the dish. If you need more drops than that you need to bring those 4 into another multiswitch at your box. They come in various sizes.

2.) 12" is pretty small, I would go as big as you can, especially if you want it to be organized. It's hard to say how big without knowing the exact type of ethernet switch and multiswitch you intend to use.

wuench said:
1.) The new dishes will only have 4 LNB connections coming out of a multiswitch built into the dish. If you need more drops than that you need to bring those 4 into another multiswitch at your box. They come in various sizes.
So I guess my question is can you chain multiswitches?

Say I have 4 LNBs coming to the main wiring closet. Those in turn go into a multiswitch which distributes the signal to the 2nd wireing closet as well as several of the receiver locations. The 2nd wiring closet would in turn have a multiswitch that distributes the signal to several other receiver locations.

Are you planning to centralize your receivers, or just have the receivers at the tv locations? IMO it is best to use 1 larger multiswitch and homerun. You can daisychain multiswitches but I think they need to be cascadeable and if you have several they should probably be powered ones.

Steve said:
Are you planning to centralize your receivers, or just have the receivers at the tv locations? IMO it is best to use 1 larger multiswitch and homerun. You can daisychain multiswitches but I think they need to be cascadeable and if you have several they should probably be powered ones.
Not sure at this point. Probably centralize receivers and use MCE Extenders in the locations, in which case I won't even use the RG6. But I don't want to lock myself into that at this point.

Assuming centralized receivers, how does that change things?

Back