Do I Really Need Elk M1?

Hmmmm, they're not as nice as the Insteon buttons, but they work with OmniPro. This is going to be a tough decision.

I've decided to go with the Lumina Pro. It has all the functionality as the OmniPro, but without the alarm zones. The work around between HAI & ISY may be a little tricky, but it's my understanding that if I convert Insteon to X10 using the ISY, then the lights should communicate with the Lumina Pro.

Thank you for your help!

It is too bad that the industry does not get together and agree on some standard support interfaces instead of forcing you to choose one path or another. I had a Omni II and needed to expand. I have Insteon/ISY for my lighting. I went with the EKM M1G and have been happy with it and its Insteon support. I can see and control all my lighting from either the ELK or the ISY. I am using the ELK for my programmed automation control and use some of my security sensors to trigger lighting events from the ELK. Security motion detectors are usually set to be less sensitive than lighting motion detectors so I use Insteon motion detectors to trigger my motion activated lighting events. I don't over ride my AC units if a window is open in the zone but I do repeat a voice warning announcement every few minutes. I close my garage doors after 10 minutes, monitor my backup generator status, monitor the fuel oil level for my heating oil supply, and monitor house temperature, and the rain collector heater temperature in my Davis weather station all from the ELK and send emails for some conditions.

It is too bad that the industry does not get together and agree on some standard support interfaces instead of forcing you to choose one path or another.

There are standards. Everybody creates their own. B)

That's like saying Apple should have used the came connector on all generations of their " I " Devices. They would never make any money.

You might look into a Vera. My HA project was pretty stagnant until I got one of these. They support Z-wave out of the box, but people have gotten other technologies working with them. They integrate with the Elk and several other alarm panels quite well. I've since moved pretty much all of my automation rules from the Elk to the Vera. It's got a *MUCH* better scripting/programming language (LUA). Not only does it allow simple things like "OR", but you can parse data with it, pull content from the web, FTP stuff (which I use with an old Android phone and the app Tasker to fire up things on the phone), etc.

Consider looking into UPB for a property that size. I think you would be a lot happier with the results, and the lack of "popcorn effect."

You can use the outputs on your ELK to send a trigger to control the shades. Ours drop at 4pm everyday, controlled through one of our outputs.

There are 100lb pet immune motions. With your application, I'd probably use glassbreaks and door sensors to secure the perimeter.

Channel Vision also makes some nice flushmount cameras/intercoms that you could use by the door.

Back