Do the cameras on AutomatedOutlet come with wire?

No offense to MRL... but Rupp, it you want good picture quality, please use a good quality RG-6 or RG-59 (For shorter runs)
I've tried these combo cables and they give a picture that looks like crap. The issue is, unless you have seen the pic with RG-6 you are oblivious.

No offense to MRL... but Rupp, it you want good picture quality, please use a good quality RG-6 or RG-59 (For shorter runs)
I have never used the SmartHome cables. I just happened to see them when I was looking at cameras - in fact I have yet to run a cable to a camera. I am close to getting a camera (or 2 or 4) and it is good to know about choosing a cable. I would really hate to have a high definition camera image look poor because of the cable. Thanks for the info. I will need about 50 to 100 feet of cable. RG-6 or RG-59?

I'd use RG-6.
Buy yourself a roll of the stuff, a crimp tool, and some F connectors, then use F to BNC adapters where needed.

No question it is a nicer tool, and can proove valuable in the futrure, but I think it is overkill for baseband vid.
(If anyone would like to send me the tool, I'd happily use it!)

EDIT: Great price for a compression tool.

MRL said:
I have never used the SmartHome cables. I just happened to see them when I was looking at cameras - in fact I have yet to run a cable to a camera. I am close to getting a camera (or 2 or 4) and it is good to know about choosing a cable. I would really hate to have a high definition camera image look poor because of the cable. Thanks for the info. I will need about 50 to 100 feet of cable. RG-6 or RG-59?
Having to choose the right cables, and connectors, and tools, is another reason I am going with IP cameras.

Having to choose the right cables, and connectors, and tools, is another reason I am going with IP cameras.
Still not convinced about IP cameras. I still like the idea of 4 real-time 30fps images without having to pan.
If I use an RG6 cable (18 AWG) for the video, what cables should I use for the power feeds? - about 50 to 100 feet to each camera.

you can use almost anything. If running 12 volts the whole distance, you can use 18 guage zip cord, or similar. I use the cheap video combo cables for audio and power in many locations.

OK guys dumb question but all the cameras I've used came with cabling in the past. If you use RJ6, which I have 500 feet of, what do you use for power?

RG59/Power combo
How about a RG59 cable and a pair of 18AWG power cables in a combo cable to run about 100 feet to a camera. I will probably have 3 cameras eventually so the 500-foot roll seems to be a good price.
Are there any RG6 / pair 18 AWG combo rolls? I like having a neat single cable to run to the cameras.

That looks like quite a premium to pay to get it all in 1.
Looks like good cable though. Too bad it is not 6.

Back