Do you use Links?

Event5

In another thread a comment was made that UPB, like other technologies has a "popcorn effect".

I was wondering if you use links or send individual commands to switches? A link signal lasts less then a second and response by any device takes place instantly. You can even dim a whole house link and the whole house will dim until the button is released, all happening simultaneously.

I think that sending the individual commands “popcorn effect†is a hold over from x-10.

PCS, the creator of UPB used to manufacture an x-10 switch that could learn up to 16, x-10 codes, and could be programmed to do something different for each command. This allowed ANY combination of switches to be controlled together, scenes. This was before most of the powerful, central controllers. In fact these x10 switches did not need a central controller to send multiple commands. From that base came the evolution to UPB; same features with a stronger signal.

Dave

In another thread a comment was made that UPB, like other technologies has a "popcorn effect".

I was wondering if you use links or send individual commands to switches? A link signal lasts less then a second and response by any device takes place instantly. You can even dim a whole house link and the whole house will dim until the button is released, all happening simultaneously.

I think that sending the individual commands “popcorn effect†is a hold over from x-10.

PCS, the creator of UPB used to manufacture an x-10 switch that could learn up to 16, x-10 codes, and could be programmed to do something different for each command. This allowed ANY combination of switches to be controlled together, scenes. This was before most of the powerful, central controllers. In fact these x10 switches did not need a central controller to send multiple commands. From that base came the evolution to UPB; same features with a stronger signal.

Dave
I use links for many things, primarily to group devices that I want to control collectively. For instance, I run a HomeSeer event whenever I leave the house to turn off many lights and devices (TVs, etc). I could include individual commands within the event for each light that I want to control. Instead, I just send a 'leaving house' link. Almost every interior light/device is defined to receive this link and to turn off. Same with Christmas lights, etc.

tenholde

I use links on a limited basis. When sending from my automation machine, I typically send discrete on/off commands. But I have created scenes and links for control form other switches. Ex. night (all off), emergency (all on), baby's awake (used at night it sets the hall 50%, nursery 25% so we can see our way), etc...

Limited use so far (I don't have that many lights in the system yet). At two switch locations that control exterior lights, I put in Web Mountain SW-7s with the dual short rocker plate. The top rocker directly controls the lights connected to it; the bottom one sends a UPB link that all of the exterior light SW-7s are programmed to respond to. This way, I can turn on or off all of the exterior lights from one location.

I also set up a few UPB links with different programmed fade rates during Christmas, to make some Christmas lights do tricks. The OPII sent the links every few minutes based on rules using flags as timers.

Whenever I add a new switch I always program it to understand the following links:
ALL_ON/ALL_OFF
ALL_INSIDE_ON/ALL_INSIDE_OFF (or OUTSIDE_ON/OFF) depending on its location
PANIC
NIGHT_SHUTDOWN
<deviceX>_CONTROL
and a couple of others that I can't remember off the top of my head.

Of course I have specific links where appropriate. I don't necessarily have a plan for each of the links, but put them in when setting up just to make it easier later. I use the NIGHT_SHUTDOWN one to turn things off at bedtime. I don't use the "ALL_OFF" since I leave some devices in a low-level dim all night.

I use the <deviceX_CONTROL link to support remote dimming control. For example, I have a 3 button rocker switch where the top rocker controls the wired load. I have the other two rockers configured to control lamp plugin modules via the specific <deviceX_CONTROL> link. I also use this link instead of the confusing "link241" thingy. In setting up my first switches I had some issues with link241 and never got a complete description of it, so I ended up replacing it with the unique ones as described. So the local button used to contol the local load also uses this link for control.

gk

Back