DSC Powerseries NEO HS32119CP01 kit

BobS0327

I probably will pull the trigger on a new DSC Power Series NEO alarm system (HS32119CP01).  Currently, the only show stopper is the DSC DLS5 GUI programming/configuration software.  I'm told that this DLS5 software is only available to dealers but copies of this software can be found on the web.  Unfortunately, I have not yet been able to locate a copy.  So, is anybody aware of a website that has this software?

Also, anybody have experience with any of the NEO panels?  Specifically, Z-wave experience.  I'm curious as to whether I can control Z-wave lighting via panel programming.  For example, I wish to turn on a few Z-wave controlled lights for 5 minutes when a PIR motion detector is tripped.

Finally, I would welcome opinions pro/con on using Alarm.com with DSC NEO.

I had a DSC Neo installed at my business and haven’t had any issues. It is monitored by Alarm.com and I use the Alarm.com app on my phone to arm/disarm and adjust notifications. I don’t use any of the Zwave functionality but it is there if I need/want it. The only issue we’ve had is spiders on the motion sensors. I would recommend getting a pair of motion sensors installed so that both have to trip before alarming.

I'm upgrading from  a really old system.  It's starting to act a little quirky.  The problem appears to be aging hardware issues and lack of any serious support from the manufacturer but I don't want to send the board back to the manufacture for repair.  I just don't want to invest anymore money in this archaic (and expensive) technology.

DSC seems to be a popular brand in my somewhat rural area.  I called a few installers in the area and they all install DSC systems.This will be a DIY install but I wanted to get a "feel" for the level of potential DSC support to be found in this area just in case someday I want to get a dealer/installer involved with my system.

Alarm.com monitoring seems to be the route to go but I  want to become more knowledgeable about this monitoring system before I commit to it.

There are some suppliers that will make the DLS software available if you purchase your DSC system through them.  I used one a while ago but forget which one.  I'll post up if I find it.

cobra said:
There are some suppliers that will make the DLS software available if you purchase your DSC system through them.  I used one a while ago but forget which one.  I'll post up if I find it.
Thanx!!  I'd really appreciate a source for the DLS5 software.  I'm just not thrilled about doing all the programming via a keypad.

Just wanted to say the pro that installed my system used the keypad to set it up. Mentioned he could have used the software but is quick enough with the keypad that he prefers it to pulling out the laptop. Not sure if that is the real reasoning but there you go. He did have to login to Alarm.com and name the zones and do some other brief configuration there.

Approximately 18 years ago, I did a DIY install of a Leviton/HAI Omni Pro 2 system.  I initially tried using a keypad for programming.  But that proved to be too tedious and error prone for me.  So, I purchased the OP2 dealer version of a Windows GUI version programming/configuration software which made life a heckuva lot easier for me. 

I believe using the DLS5 software to do programming etc. would be my best option since I'm a DIYer with no previous DSC programming experience. 

I'm assuming your pro installer had a lot of DSC programming experience and probably could do the programming in his/her sleep.  IMHO, in that situation, the installer could probably forego using the software and program everything via a keypad.  Especially, if the installer was doing a small (basic) installation.

I've spent the last six months evaluating various security systems.  I was kinda partial to the DSC Power Systems NEO panel but in the end I pulled the trigger on a Qolsys IQ Panel 2 Plus system.  It's a relatively new company.  They've only been in business for approximately 10 years.  I chose it primarily because they put a lot of emphasis on the Z-wave Plus technology and the focal point of my own HA system is Z-wave Plus.  Also, their end user (DIYer) support is totally phenomenal.

Well, I can now totally dismantle my old Leviton/HAI Omni Pro 2 system.  I've been using HAI/Leviton products for over 20 years but I now feel it's time to part ways.  IMHO, the OP2 controller is an old 20th century (Model T) controller which is in a desperate need of a major upgrade.  Unfortunately, it appears that the Leviton folks have totally abandoned this controller.  I personally just got tired and frustrated of working with really old technology.  Also, got tired of waiting for the OP2 to be upgraded.

Back