Dual LCDs Pop Up from Kitchen Counter

rachelc

Electronic system installers hear it all the time from clients: “We want all the A/V we can get in this room, but we don’t want to see any of it!”

Lubbock, TX–based Hi-Fidelity received that exact instruction from in-town homeowners who didn’t want any of their audio or video on display (when not in use) in their new kitchen. This time, though, Hi-Fidelity’s Chad Waller found out that the homeowners really meant business: Not only did the electronics need to be hidden, but they were planning to conceal the fridge, freezer, dishwasher and other appliances as well.

As an added wrinkle to the installation, the homeowners wanted to watch television in two distinct parts of the kitchen—the breakfast room and the cooking area. This presented an extra challenge for Hi-Fidelity and led to a unique solution that would make this room truly stand out.

There's more info on this installation, as well as photos and an equipment list, on ElectronicHouse.com.

That certainly is pretty cool, but I would have a few questions or observations. Maybe these don't apply when you have that much money and a different lifestyle?

1. With the 'gap' in the granite in the middle of the countertop, what happens to crumbs, liquid, etc? It would seem thing could 'fall' (even with tight tolerances) in between. Maybe they just have a maid that checks and cleans this daily?

2. What would happen if there were a platter of food or pitcher of liquid part on and part off the lift and someone inadvertantly lifted it? Seems that could be a bit dangerous or at least messy.

But maybe at that lifestyle people don't actually use the kitchen, but just have it as a showcase???? But it is a cool idea...

That certainly is pretty cool, but I would have a few questions or observations. Maybe these don't apply when you have that much money and a different lifestyle?

1. With the 'gap' in the granite in the middle of the countertop, what happens to crumbs, liquid, etc? It would seem thing could 'fall' (even with tight tolerances) in between. Maybe they just have a maid that checks and cleans this daily?

2. What would happen if there were a platter of food or pitcher of liquid part on and part off the lift and someone inadvertantly lifted it? Seems that could be a bit dangerous or at least messy.

But maybe at that lifestyle people don't actually use the kitchen, but just have it as a showcase???? But it is a cool idea...

Perhaps its just the photographer but IMHO that is one of the ugliest rooms I've seen in a long time. When I moved into my current place about 20 years ago, the guest bathroom, on which the previous owners had spent a ton of money, had blood red fixtures, black wallpaper accented with poodles with cute little pink bow ties and aquamarine tile. It was the very first remodelling project. Those screens would last less than a week in my kitchen given the way we cook...

Perhaps its just the photographer but IMHO that is one of the ugliest rooms I've seen in a long time.

Actually, I though most of the rooms/homes that made that issue were unattractive. The exception being C.C. Sabathia's house. Most seemed very over the top almost to the point of not being able to "live" in them.

Back