DVR Solutions / Suggestions

I've considered a BYO dvr system several times, but I always run into the problem of how to get the recorded data to play on my TV. I have no interest in watching recordings on a PC.

So have I missed some magical product that does this? I thought the HDHomeRun might be the ticket, but it looks like it's just a streamer. Is there something that takes streams or shared files and can output to either HDMI or Component at 1080i level?

gk

Yes, the SageTV Extenders allow you to watch the recorded streams or shared files, etc.. on your TVs (one extender is required per TV - to watch different streams).

Either the HD-100 (old model apparently) or the newer HD-200 - found here: HD-200

Someone please correct me if Im wrong, as yesterday was the first day I started researching this.. but the HDHR is only a tuner - to allow stream the OTA signals into your PC allowing the streams to be recorded to your PC/servers HDD.

I've considered a BYO dvr system several times, but I always run into the problem of how to get the recorded data to play on my TV. I have no interest in watching recordings on a PC.

So have I missed some magical product that does this? I thought the HDHomeRun might be the ticket, but it looks like it's just a streamer. Is there something that takes streams or shared files and can output to either HDMI or Component at 1080i level?

gk

You are looking for a media player or extender. This is a hardware box that hooks to your network and allows you to play music, videos, or display pictures on a local display from anywhere on the network (that you have permission to browse). There are stand alone media players like the Popcorn Hour box, a DLink option or two, and the new SageTV HD-200 HD Theater just to name a few. You can also look into software packages that work alongside the extender to provide a more robust interaction and ties the DVR tuners into the equation. This allows you to browse, record, set favorites, etc from the media extender's menus system. SageTV seems to be the most popular around here. I own it and use a HD-100 HD extender to stream the media to my TV. There is also software to allow you to use X-Boxes as a media extender.

So there are a lot of options to do what you are asking.

But you are also correct that the HDHR is simply a device to RECORD OTA or QAM video. There is no playback capability in it. So you need a computer or a media player to actually watch what the HDHR records.

To further detail out whats going to be needed here, I know that the current PC I have to test any of this with is fairly out of date... I believe its a P4 HT processor, likely only has 512MB of RAM (obviously upgradeable), but I know the MB doesnt have SATA ports. That said, I will probably end up building a computer for the Sage DVR duty. My question is.. how much other work load can I expect to get out of this PC?

I am likely planning to eventually have CQC running (assuming SMALL effect on processor?), obviously the Sage, and I will also be installing some CCTV cameras. Should I completely seperate the CCTV system, from this PC? Would I have to, due to processing work load? Id obviously like to only require 1 PC for both space and $$ reasons, but Id also like the system to work well too. :)

Suggestions?

A p4 will work fine for sage & cqc.

CCTV cannot work on the same box as Sage, the avermedia software fights with sagetv over capture cards. Not workload, just functionality arguments.

CCTV works fine with CQC, you could put that on the P4 box too if you'd like. Use a PATA drive for the recording, hell i still got a 200GB PATA i just found that i can give you - what the hell am i going to do with it :)

Ditto to what IVB said. I seperated my CCTV and Sage boxes, and run my CQC server on my CCTV box. The Avermedia software averages about 30% untilization though on a C2D 2.4...I have 7 cameras, using motion recording, and quality turned up max on all cameras.

I decided that I wanted my Sage box to only have Sage loaded, as that is used most by the family, and I wanted it to be ultra stable.

So far, no problems with the setup.

CCTV cannot work on the same box as Sage, the avermedia software fights with sagetv over capture cards. Not workload, just functionality arguments.
what if it's only hdhomeruns and not actual tuner cards?

Should work, but if you are really serious about security, I would avoid it. You don't want several HD recordings to be responsible for missing a few key frames when trying to review a security incident.

A p4 will work fine for sage & cqc.

CCTV works fine with CQC, you could put that on the P4 box too if you'd like. Use a PATA drive for the recording, hell i still got a 200GB PATA i just found that i can give you - what the hell am i going to do with it :)

Ditto to what IVB said. I seperated my CCTV and Sage boxes, and run my CQC server on my CCTV box. The Avermedia software averages about 30% untilization though on a C2D 2.4...I have 7 cameras, using motion recording, and quality turned up max on all cameras.

I decided that I wanted my Sage box to only have Sage loaded, as that is used most by the family, and I wanted it to be ultra stable.

So far, no problems with the setup.

Does anyone know if there are conflicts with any of the GeoVision software and Sage?

Should work, but if you are really serious about security, I would avoid it. You don't want several HD recordings to be responsible for missing a few key frames when trying to review a security incident.

I certainly dont want to have any issues where either the software doesnt play well with with the other, or where the machine is getting overtasked and cant handle recording HDTV and CCTV. I'd likely have them on different physical drives, even if they were on the same machine so I wouldnt have to worry about HDD write speed. But not even certain I would be able to have it all on one, or if I would even want to if I could.

So I piggybacked on another post the other day regarding a Sage server. I am going to build a Quad Core PC that should far surpass all requirements for Sage and a NV5000 (with 4 camera max). I will not have any TV tuner cards installed on this machine (using HDHomeruns and HD-PVR), so I should not have any hardware conflicts as discussed above. However, if I do have issues I will post accordingly to let everyone know. I believe this will be a reasonably untested case, as it doesnt seem like anyone has really done this on a built-from-scratch PC (it seems most are re-purposing older PCs for these tasks). In any case, as I was spec'ing this PC out, I thought of another question...

Generally speaking, I am planning to have a few somewhat independent systems: 1) Sage/CCTV, 2) Nuvo Whole Home, 3) HAI....

I am planning to purchase an OmniPro II, and replace my current Ademco alarm system, for HA reasons of coarse :huh: I am planning to use HAI to (possibly integrate Nuvo), and with a Philips Pronto remote which will enable control of hardware in specific rooms, which somewhat ties into Sage (no different than using Sage HD Extender remote).

Somewhere is the line in the sand where my issue/question arises.. I believe I am correct in saying that the Omni will not natively communicate with my LG TVs over RS232 - at least not as simple as selecting LG TV in a drop down menu. If so, please advise. If not, which I assume to be the case, what is the best mode of transport for doing so? Do I really need a full software HA piece like CQC to change my AV input or channel on my living room TV (to CCTV camera) if someone rings the doorbell? I am not really certain of any additional commands I would want setup to have automated control of the TV, but I assume there may be a couple of other instances that could come up eventually. The same goes for control of my Pioneer AV receiver, which also has RS232.

Is it possible to simply write lines of code from a manufacturer's RS232 protocol to have sent via the Omni panel upon certain events?

So I piggybacked on another post the other day regarding a Sage server. I am going to build a Quad Core PC that should far surpass all requirements for Sage and a NV5000 (with 4 camera max). I will not have any TV tuner cards installed on this machine (using HDHomeruns and HD-PVR), so I should not have any hardware conflicts as discussed above. However, if I do have issues I will post accordingly to let everyone know. I believe this will be a reasonably untested case, as it doesnt seem like anyone has really done this on a built-from-scratch PC (it seems most are re-purposing older PCs for these tasks).
I have a purpose built server running CQC and a NV5000. The Sage box is still sitting in the parts closet, but it's on the list to setup Sage server on this box soon as well. I have no other tuners, and won't be DVR'ing anything but the security cams, Sage is just being used with an HD-200 for ripped DVD playback. I didn't go with a full out quad core box since I'm trying to keep the cooling requirements, noise, and power consumption minimal, but my dual core hasn't even broken a sweat.

Just don't forget that the NV5000 is picky about chipset and CPU compatibility. You'll need to stick with an Intel processor and verify that your chipset is supported before you choose a motherboard.

I believe I am correct in saying that the Omni will not natively communicate with my LG TVs over RS232 - at least not as simple as selecting LG TV in a drop down menu. If so, please advise. If not, which I assume to be the case, what is the best mode of transport for doing so? Do I really need a full software HA piece like CQC to change my AV input or channel on my living room TV (to CCTV camera) if someone rings the doorbell? I am not really certain of any additional commands I would want setup to have automated control of the TV, but I assume there may be a couple of other instances that could come up eventually. The same goes for control of my Pioneer AV receiver, which also has RS232.

Is it possible to simply write lines of code from a manufacturer's RS232 protocol to have sent via the Omni panel upon certain events?
No, you can't just choose "LG TV" from a drop down and have the Omni control it, but depending on your needs you can probably make this work. The LG sets have a pretty basic ASCII protocol as I recall, and the Omni can be configured to send a "message" out a specified serial port. You wouldn't want to get too fancy since the messages must be preconfigured and you'll start running out of message space, but if you just want things like power and input selection then you should be okay. I've interfaced the Omni to many other non-supported devices this way, including having multiple Omni's in different structures speak to each other serially. Having said that, there is still much value in having a software control layer in the mix. I'm a big proponent of using a dedicated controller such as the Omni for critical functions, but a nice software front end mixed in is great for a GUI and for more complicated functions.

BTW - I was a car audio installer in high school/college and grew up in Callaway. We have lots of common ground. Feel free to PM me if you want to get into the nitty gritty of making this work.

So I recently began making a couple of purchases to work toward making some progress....

I picked up a ChannelMaster antenna and a HDHomeRun for starers. I was looking into installing the antenna this weekend or next, but now have some reservations and am considering sending it back. Reason being, I have had our MBR TV hung for ~4 months now, which is currently directly wired to our Comcast service (w/o any STB between). When I installed the TV and originally scanned for channels the 4 major networks (ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox) were all analog broadcasts. I just rescanned about a week ago and they are now all Digital feeds over the Comcast service. These 4 channels are the only reason I was looking to install the ChannelMaster antenna.

Is there any reason that I should keep and install the antenna vs. running the Comcast service direct to the HDHR?

So I am coming up on the 30-day return date on the antenna.... I have been out of town and havent been able to test the HDHR with the raw Comcast connection.

Basically trying to find an answer to the following:
Is there any reason that I should keep and install the antenna vs. running the Comcast service direct to the HDHR?

The only reason would be if there is a lack of local channels on the cable feed. I have both a OTA antenna and Charter internet (which they also send clear QAM on the line as well). The Charter feeds give me all the major networks (NBC, CBS, ABC, Fox, CW, and UPN). But I get SC and NC PBS stations through the antenna (about 6 different sub channels) while Charter only gives 1 SC PBS station and no sub channels. With young children, having those subchannels is important because they include the PBS Kids feed which I do not get via cable.

You can use this channel resource from silicondust to check and see which channels you may get from both the OTA and cable feeds. If you are happy with the cable selections, then there is little reason to keep the antenna IMHO.

The only reason would be if there is a lack of local channels on the cable feed. I have both a OTA antenna and Charter internet (which they also send clear QAM on the line as well). The Charter feeds give me all the major networks (NBC, CBS, ABC, Fox, CW, and UPN). But I get SC and NC PBS stations through the antenna (about 6 different sub channels) while Charter only gives 1 SC PBS station and no sub channels. With young children, having those subchannels is important because they include the PBS Kids feed which I do not get via cable.

You can use this channel resource from silicondust to check and see which channels you may get from both the OTA and cable feeds. If you are happy with the cable selections, then there is little reason to keep the antenna IMHO.

Thanks for the input. That is what I figured, but wanted some peace-of-mind verification before I resorted to sending it back. Yeah, I am only looking for the major network channels, but there are a couple of the other sub channels on my Comcast line as well. I dont have any kids now... However my wife is OCD clean freak as well as a FUTURE planner and she already has kids on her calender :rolleyes:

As a side note, I find that I get a more stable signal through the cable as well. While it is possible that the cable signal may go out (an outage for some reason), those instances are few and far between. On the other hand, receiving OTA ATSC signals is a little like black magic. If you are close enough (but not too close) to the transmitters and get a strong, steady signal, then everything is good. But far too often there are objects blocking the direct signal, or atmospheric conditions that may effect the signals (especially at longer distances) which cause a signal that is less than strong and steady.

So all things being equal, unless your cable company has a terrible track record of keeping the service on (which is probably pretty rare today), I would recommend that you go with the cable feed.

Back