EDT vs UPB

eded9698

I am building a new home and have narrowed my search to these two products. If you had to choose one, EDT or UPB, which one would it be and why.

Thank you

Considering EDT has been mentioned so few times and that support for these switches isn't as wide spread as UPB, then I would say UPB.

All depends on your requirements and budget (which you will have to share with us if you want a good opinion). I personally prefer hardwired solution, but in most cases, this is too expensive. I use UPB myself, and haven't had any issues yet, so it's not a bad option.

Personal Opinion:
Hardwire is always more reliable, but not always possible in OLD construction.

Checkout:
OnQ, EDT, Centralite for hardwired lighting.

OnQ and EDT use CAT5 low voltage runs to the switches. Easy future retrofit.

Centralite uses low voltage keypads and a central high voltage controller.

My house is in the framing stage. Wiring will most likely start the first week of Feb. The house is about 3800sq ft. My budget for lighting automation is around 2k. That does not include wiring.

I thought UPB was consider a hardwired lighting system. Centralite is to expensive because is requires an installer. Thats why I choose EDT and UPB. Have not looked into OnQ. I have to check that one out.

I guess the better question is, if you could put any lighting system in your home for about 3K (wired by builder, installed by you). Which system would you choose.

It depends on how many loads you have as to what will fit your budget. UPB is a Powerline (PLC) technology that uses your house wiring, like X10 and Insteon. The signals that control things go over your house wiring. Hardwired switches use a separate dedicated control wire for its control signalling, taking them off the powerline which increases reliability.

Personally, with that budget, I would probably do a hybrid system where I use hardwire for mission critical lighting that may be used for security and other very important functions, then use UPB for the rest, like outlets and maybe things like closets, etc. But you have to look at the costs, I don't know the average cost per switch/device for the hardwire but UPB will run about $80-$90 per device at retail (for a new SAI US240). Of course there are some less expensive models and you can get quantity pricing. At that budget, you can probably get 35-55 UPB devices depending on the model and discount.

eded9698 said:
Centralite is to expensive because is requires an installer.
That is not necessarily the case, at least for the CentraLite LiteJet.

I received a quote for a LiteJet system directly from a distributor for $2600 (24 loads plus all switches). The fact that I will be installing it myself was not an issue.

I have not decided whether to wire myself or hire an electrician, but the wiring will be simpler then a non-automated solution, because of the need for three and four way circuits.

The wiring is very simple:
Romex from the panel to the lights.
Cat5 from the panel to each switch location.
RS232 from the ELK to the LiteJet.

I called Centralite and they said the dealer would have to do the install. Maybe you can give me the info on the distributor you used. The price you paid is around my budget.

EDT is roughly the same or maybe even a little less per switch compared to the UPB switches I've seen. It doesn't get mentioned much because it really only makes sense in new construction. Too big a pain in the butt for retrofit unless you have really good access.

I plan on using EDT Iline when the time comes. I was looking at ALC but OnQ seems to have stopped developing it. If you can find someone with some switches in stock that could be a good system too but the lack of availability scares me.

One warning - remember 5 - 10 years down the road UPB switches can be replaced with the latest and greatest but with some these wired systems your stuck .

Rupp said:
One warning - remember 5 - 10 years down the road UPB switches can be replaced with the latest and greatest but with some these wired systems your stuck .
Rupp,

I hear what you are saying, but once the appropriate wiring is in place you can make the same argument. If I put EDT in and 5-10 years down the road they have newer swtches or control board I can always easily swap it, or put PLC or regular switches in. It is true that if you go with a central system like Centralite, you will always need to stick to a centralized system but the same still holds in that you can easily upgrade switches or control components.

Not just trying to protect my trade, but, you had better have a talk with your inspector about permit requirements if you intall the lighting yourself. Even low voltage, data, and autod wiring requres permits and inspections to verify that insulation meets fire spread ratings.

Here in Washington state there are huge fines for doing work on someone elses permit and let's not mention if the construction insurer and homeowners insurance companies find out that a non-contractor did it.

Life used to be so much easier when I was a kid....sigh!

[/QUOTE]Even low voltage, data, and autod wiring requres permits and inspections to verify that insulation meets fire spread ratings.
WOW, I need to start checking my spelling. That should have said AUDIO wiring.

PS I am a fan of UPB myself not onloy becasue of reliablility, but because you can expand as budget allows. just replace one switch at a time once you find more uses for it. But if you have the budget, hardwired is still superior. (I rate superiority on how many times I have to make a service call.)

Back