Elk 1136 EEPROM Memory Error Trouble

gcimmino

Howdy. My panel started beeping this evening with this code. It's been installed and running for over a year. The only change in the last month is that I've been running RM on a touchscreen based PC.

I power cycled the panel and the error went away.

I connected with RP prior to and after the reset. Both times, the connection reported conflicts on Globals. However, RP didn't highlight any differences either time. Both times I sent the local DB to the system.

Any thoughts?

The panel is 4.4.4 with an XZW at 1.0.16, an XEP at 1.2.2 and a KP at 2.1.46.

Thanks

I'm not sure if I experienced the same thing as you, but, this week I had a power failure. The M1 on my test bench came up with an eeprom error. I called Brad at ELK and was told that the panel may have been writing to the eeprom when the power failure occured. He said it would clear by itself the next time it wrote correctly to the eeprom or I could do a power down reset. I did a power down reset and it hasn't happened since.

rfdesq said:
I'm not sure if I experienced the same thing as you, but, this week I had a power failure.
Did you have the battery hooked up? I guess I could believe this if the battery wasn't there.

Since mine is not a test bench, but live install with the battery, I'm wondering why a power failure would cause an issue. I don't believe we've had any power issues here -- at least I've no recollection of recently doing the clock reset tour!

The M1 calculates an EEProm CRC value after any write to the EEProm. If any changes to the EEProm occur that do not go through the M1's EEProm write routine, the CRC value will not match what is in the EEProm and the EEProm Error will show up.

By power cycling the M1, a new EEProm CRC value will be calculated.

Should the error continue to show up, I would suspect an EEProm silicon problem.

If a bit should change that is not used by the ELKRP, it will show a change has occured but not list what the change is.

gcimmino said:
Did you have the battery hooked up? I guess I could believe this if the battery wasn't there.
Yes, battery was hooked up. Now that I think about it I also got a phone fault when the panel dialed out during the power failure.

Spanky, thanks.

Just connected via RP and it's showing the same conflict on Globals with no changes highlighted. No troubles though.

Perhaps the eeprom did just "go bad"?

What further should I do before looking at an RMA?

Update: Spoke to Amy and she suggested the non-US/US trick with the Globals that cures the phone line fault issue.

I haven't seen the Conflict on globals since doing that.

So, perhaps EEPROM Memory Trouble is also a result of the upgrade, though wonder why it didn't manifest itself for weeks after the upgrade..

Anyway, though it should be added to the "knowledge base".

Back