Elk 1RT Speaker/Strobe Location

johngalt

I want to install an Elk 1RT speaker and strobe on my house.

I can install it on the porch which might be more visible and act as a deterrent while still getting an aesthetic approval from my wife.

Or I can install it on the side of the house up high that might be a little less noticeable, but you would need a ladder to access it.

Thoughts?

It has tampers, but I suppose someone could still rip it from the wall after the siren was activated.  I figured the strobe in the front would be nice if we ever need the fire department or an ambulance to find our house at night.  I guess the strobe on the side of the house would still help.

The other question is can I install the 1RT on the ceiling or just wall mount?

I mounted my 1RT and strobe up high, out of reach, on the side of the house.  The way my house is situated, the strobe is still visible from the street.   The metal box is sturdy, so it would probably require some effort to knock it off the wall.  Still, I'd rather make an attack as difficult as possible.

You could mount it on the ceiling, but that might affect how well the sound projects.

One other option would be to mount the 1RT up high out of reach and place a separate strobe in a different location where it would have good visibility.

I installed a speaker/horn inside the garage but facing out of an eave vent just above the overhead door and it can be heard outside while not being obnoxious. I mainly want it so that I can chirp it when I use the keyfob to arm and disarm.

I don't think I will have it set to get loud.

I see it more as a deterrent. The chirp ability when remotely arming would be nice. The strobe would be nice, but Elk can flash the front porch light during an alarm situation as well.

So I guess are "bad guys" smart enough to look for a siren?

johngalt said:
So I guess are "bad guys" smart enough to look for a siren?

My guess is that some of the bad guys are smart enough to look for a siren, or other clues like yard signs or stickers on the windows.  But a lot of them are just dumb or don't care.

Given a choice, they'd rather rob a house without an alarm system than a house that has one.  Often, owners don't arm the system when they should, so the bad guys just might take a chance on a house with an alarm and see what happens.

Mine is mounted as RAL describes. It is very loud and the flashing strobe is still plenty visible especially at night. I already had an external Fire Bell for my fire sprinkler system so I mounted it next to that and it blends in aesthetically.

Have mine mounted right above a garage door - clearly visible from the street. I also use the strobe for keyfob arming confirmation and chirp the siren if a window or door was left open.
I'm not worried about someone ripping it off as it has tamper pins, plus 2 cameras view the area as a deterrent. Further, my biggest GTFO is if they still break in during away mode and get blasted by the screamers.

Tampers mean nothing, nor does whether or not it's loud enough. The old school trick is to use spray foam inside the bell housing before triggering it. At least Elk has the filter paper/cloth to help keep that from happening easily.

Location should be as high as possible to help prevent it easily being tampered with.

The best would be to locate the strobe in the visible location and the sounder/speaker in a location not subject to easy tamper or compromise.

I plan to have multiple speakers when I'm done. I currently have one behind my main keypad in  the house  and one in the garage rafter. I plan to add a second keypad and speaker at a second door in the house and maybe even a fourth speaker in another location. The more speakers the longer it takes to silence an alarm by simply bashing speakers.

Mike.

EDIT

I forgot that there is also a speaker in my detached garage.

Back