Elk M1 Charging... Does it do so when switched OFF?

HoustonFirefox

Hi all,

Well, it's been two years since the charging diodes on my Elk M1 went out and now it looks like the same issue.

Basically, when first powered up, the system works but after a little warm-up time, the AC input voltage to the board drops to between 8 and 10 volts and the battery is no longer being charged. When it says "low battery" on the keypad then there is my clue :eek:

Anyways, when the system is powered OFF, does anyone know if the battery is still being charged (minus the load from the M1 itself?). I ask because the input voltage stays pretty steady even after an hour in this state. Hopefully it is still charging the battery. Looks like I get my choice, power up and risk running off battery or power down and charge ;)

I'll be calling Elk tomorrow to see if I can get any help on this.

Thanks

Check the AC transformer voltage output. It sounds like you may be drawing too much current from the transformer and the PTC fuse in the transformer is shutting down the transformer or as you indicated a bridge diode on the power supply could be shorted causing too much current drain from the transformer and it is shutting down.

When the M1 is switched off it does NOT charge the battery.

Allow the transformer to cool off which will reset the PTC fuse and measure the transformer voltage output.

Back