Elk M1 Databus enrollment weirdness

rogeremasse

Hello --

This is my first post to CocoonTech and I'm new to the Elk M1, so please be gentle!

The forums moderator upgraded my access to allow me to attach some images that help show my problem. Thank you.

I've recently installed an Elk M1 Gold (firmware 5.2.4) with two keypads on bus addresses 1 & 2, and a 16 zone input expander M1XIN on bus address 4. These are all connected via cat5 wire using an M1DBH data bus hub. My total data bus cable run length is under 1000 feet leaving my bus length under 2000. All my data bus peripherals are in the unterminated state. I've got the RJ45 bus terminator in port 4. All 3 peripherals appear to enroll either using a keypad or Elk RP2 software.

Using Elk RP2 software, I've eliminated all conflicts, but my control is still "Not ready". Specifically, the inputs that are not ready are all the zones on the M1XIN (zones 17-32).

The weird thing is that when I activate the bus enrollment function through the RP2 software, the M1XIN consistently shows up on address 4, but the hardware, firmware and boot versions vary every time I re-enroll. This is all without touching a thing on the actual hardware.

The attached images show what I'm talking about.

Any idea what might be going on?

Thank you.

-Roger Masse

Attachments

• BusEnrollment3.png
    BusEnrollment3.png
    33.5 KB · Views: 36
  • BusEnrollment2.png
    BusEnrollment2.png
    33.7 KB · Views: 30
  • BusEnrollment1.png
    BusEnrollment1.png
    21.4 KB · Views: 24
Is JP3 terminated on the M1 main board? I know anything plugged into the hub shouldnt be terminated, but JP3 on the board DOES need to be terminated.

What about JP1 on the XIN? I think mine came with the jumper off (in a plastic bag) but the instructions say to put jumper in the "No" position if you're not terminating at the XIN (which you are not).

Yes the jumper on the M1XIN was installed in the "No" position. Sorry, that wasn't' clear from my description. Thank you.

However, JP3 on the main board was not terminated... It is now and the changing values for hardware, firmware and boot versions on the M1XIN are no longer changing.

So thank you, that problem is solved!

Oddly enough though, my control is still "not ready" as zones 17-32 are all still in the violated state... which seems, statistically at least, unlikely.

It's possible that I somehow systematically wired the 16 zones on the M1XIN all incorrectly. I'll have a longer look over the weekend and report back any relevant findings.

-Roger

Also make sure your EOL settings are appropriate for your configuration. Remember, when in doubt, just remove the wires from the zone's terminals in question and just short out and open with a piece of wire to test. That way you will know if the problem is external to the M1XIN.

All of these zones are doors and windows supported with normally closed magnetic contact sensor switches. I have several similar zones configured on the main board which appear to be functioning normally.

The M1XIN zones (17-32) are all the same: "Type" is "Normally Closed", their Definition is "Burglar Perimeter Instant", their State is "N/A" and Volts 0.0. This is when looking at the status table via the RP2 software.

-Roger

Roger,

If your XIN is addressed at 4, that is your problem. Zones 17-32 are address 2 on the XIN. The addresses only have to be different for each type of device, not all devices combined.

Example: you can have 3 keypads addressed at 1, 2, and 3. You can also have input expanders addressed at 2, 3, and 4. Output expanders at 2, 3, and 4.

Zones 17 thru 32 should be address 2 on the XIN. OR, change your programming to be zones 49 to 64. I would change the address IMHO.

Keep us posted.

Indeed the problem that remained once I terminated J3 on the main board was that my M1XIN was at bus address 4 and I was expecting it to show up as Zones 17-32. I changed the address of the XIN to 2, as gatchel suggested, and all my zones appeared "Normal" except one window. Upon closer inspection, the wired half of the sensor was broken. After I replaced it, my control was "Ready".

Now on to some rules programming. :D

Thanks to all who responded.

-Roger Masse

Back