Elk M1 -- Example of use of multiple "Areas"

politics123

I understand the concept of Areas, but I'm having some problems invisioning how to use them. Anyone care to share their "Area" designs?

I was thinking of having 3 areas: house, attached-garage, exterior....

Typically areas are used when you want separate control of each area - like separate arming/disarming, etc. Typically they are used for commercial office space and things like separate guest house, barns, workshops, etc. I'm not sure I would really consider any of your 3 spaces mentioned a separate area unless you have something specific in mind.

My home has an attached 2 car garage, and a 3 car detached garage and a detached 1 car shed for the tractor. My primary partition is the house & attached garage. Partition #2 includes both sheds. Partition #3 is my gun cabinet.

When you set up users you can limit their password to any or all partitions (areas). It's also handy to leave the shed armed when the house is disarmed.

I don't see any advantage to separating your home and attached garage into separate areas.

If your house is like mine, with an inside entrance to the house from the attached garage, you might want to wire/program it so you can arm the house while the garage door is open. I do this with a sensor on my screen door that goes to the garage. When I take a nap (I'm retired ;-0) and it's nice out I leave the garage door open, but gain security by protecting the screen door to the house.

I have a detached RV Garage / Shop and plan to make that a separate area. That's the only place I can think of using it though.

Big ISSUE/Problem with the ELK M1G "Areas" design. I installed a standard M1G into a 3 apartment complex with 3 separate KP2s (with speakers). I quickly realized that there is only 1 Voice Output, so I gave the voice to Grandma in apartment 1 (Area 1) and cut the speaker wires to Apartment 2 & 3. The problem is that when someone from apartment 2 (Area 2) and/or apartment 3 (Area 3) arm/disarms their system, Grandma gets a voice announcement of those changes.

Couple questions for the engineers:

1. Was the ELK M1G designed to be used in an apartment complex (8 partitioned apartments)?
2. Can rules be written for a standard option of muting/unmuting voice per Area?
3. Will the optional Voice Output boards fix this problem?
4. Is there an immediate fix to this problem or must I persue another type of panel for my pending orders?

At this time, it's ALL of NOTHING for Non-Alarm announcements using Voice. I'm stuck putting in Ademco panels for the time being. Please help.

-= *Sharby*=-

Concur with randy... i was going to create 1/2 areas for my outbuilding (houses a shop/office)... But i would need an extra keypad for each area though (ELK-M1KPAS makes it cheaper, but maybe not more convienent as i'd have to disarm 2/3 areas in the morning in stead of 1 on my way out -i could set up rules to do it i guess). There's also the issue raised in the last question about 1 speaker, etc.

I just couldn't justify it especially since i work at home. So i'm in and out of all three "areas" all day. During night arming, i could rarely think of a case i'd want one armed and not the other...

-brad

Normally, individual voice announcements by area are not done in applications like multiple apartments. Individual alarm sirens can be connected to the outputs and turned on with Rules or even area speaker switching upon alarm with Rules. The voice messages can be turned off in the voice setup of ELKRP.

Normally, individual voice announcements by area are not done in applications like multiple apartments. Individual alarm sirens can be connected to the outputs and turned on with Rules or even area speaker switching upon alarm with Rules. The voice messages can be turned off in the voice setup of ELKRP.

Spanky,

I gave the DISABLE Voice option in Globals. However, Apartment#1 isn't able to hear anything Should I just order a Elk120 to resolve this issue? My new objective is to add voice status for arming/disarming system for the use of Weigand sensors at the apartment door exits

-=*Sharby*=-

Back