ELK M1 Gold Questions

dos46

I see the ELK M1 Gold has  1.25Amp PTC protected  circuit. Is this 1.25 amps the total throughout the entire unit? For example, you have to add up all the power from panels and motion sensors and they have sum below 1.25 amps? Or is it 1.25 amps per +VAux/+VKP?

My next question is, there are 1,250 mAmps in 1.25 amps?

Hello dos46, the 1.25A PTC is per output, none of the individual outputs can exceed 1.25A, also yes 1.25A is the same as 1,250mA.

Thanks nmcbride, I wanted to make sure I didn't need an external power supply.

One more question, do I have to put EOL resistors on every zone or can I program it to ignore the EOL? On some spots I am going to use the Tane-pill and it will be impossible to hide the EOL resistor and putting it at the panel is kind of pointless in my opinion.

dos46 said:
Thanks nmcbride, I wanted to make sure I didn't need an external power supply.

One more question, do I have to put EOL resistors on every zone or can I program it to ignore the EOL? On some spots I am going to use the Tane-pill and it will be impossible to hide the EOL resistor and putting it at the panel is kind of pointless in my opinion.

EOL resistors are selected on a zone by zone basis in the Elk setup.  So, no, you don't need one on every zone, you can mix and match.

dos46 said:
I see the ELK M1 Gold has  1.25Amp PTC protected  circuit. Is this 1.25 amps the total throughout the entire unit? For example, you have to add up all the power from panels and motion sensors and they have sum below 1.25 amps? Or is it 1.25 amps per +VAux/+VKP?

My next question is, there are 1,250 mAmps in 1.25 amps?
If you're asking if each of the (3) +Vaux terminals will supply 1.25A, then the answer is no.
Also, be aware that even though each output is PTC protected the board itself is rated much less than the sum of each PTC'd output.

video321 said:
If you're asking if each of the (3) +Vaux terminals will supply 1.25A, then the answer is no.
Also, be aware that even though each output is PTC protected the board itself is rated much less than the sum of each PTC'd output.

I plan on having 1x M1KP2, 3x M1KPNAV, 1x M1XRF2H  and 2 zone expanders getting power from the board on (+VKP)
Using the spec sheet this totals 450mA

I plan on having 5 motion sensors and 1 glass breakers on the +VAux 
Using the spec sheet this totals about 100mA

I assume these loads will be ok for +VKP and +VAux?

I also plan on using 3 ELK71 Echo Sirens throughout the house but I do not know how to install more than 1. The instructions say not to install more than 1 on OUT 1.

I tried to fire up my system for the first time and my keypads said "Overcurrent" and would beep and become unresponsive. I removed all my motions from the panel and this fixed the over current problem but they do not get communication. So I am going to redo all the homerun wiring one at a time as I think I might have messed up the series connections.

Question:
1 - Can I wire up 1 keypad and 1 zone expander (placing the terminating jumper on the zone expander), register the zone expander then  keep adding keypads one at a time but keeping the same zone expander as the last on the series? I would obviously power down the system before adding keypads but I want to make sure I can register the new keypads one at a time while keeping the registered device always last in the series.

2 - Can anyone recommend a power supply to get? Is the ELK-P112 good?

Do you have home runs with cat cable?  Ideally, you would have it that way, with rj45 terminators and a m1dbh.  With this setup, you plug your devices into the m1dbh in any order you want.  It is very slick.  If you want to add or remove a device from the m1 it literally takes 5 seconds.  It also comes with a terminating resistor mounted into an rj45 for quick termination right at the dbh.  

But to directly answer your question, yes, you can keep adding devices in the daisy chain fashion described in the manual as long as only the last device has the termination.  The order doesn't matter, the m1 will recognize a moved device no matter what location it was in when it was originally enrolled.

Lou Apo said:
Do you have home runs with cat cable?  Ideally, you would have it that way, with rj45 terminators and a m1dbh.  With this setup, you plug your devices into the m1dbh in any order you want.  It is very slick.  If you want to add or remove a device from the m1 it literally takes 5 seconds.  It also comes with a terminating resistor mounted into an rj45 for quick termination right at the dbh.  

But to directly answer your question, yes, you can keep adding devices in the daisy chain fashion described in the manual as long as only the last device has the termination.  The order doesn't matter, the m1 will recognize a moved device no matter what location it was in when it was originally enrolled.
Yes, I have homerun cat6 cabling. I may try that if I fail in my series connections one more time. I am going to take another crack at it tonight. If I can go back in time I would definitely have purchased the m1dbh, having that many connections in series is a headache.

dos46 said:
If I can go back in time I would definitely have purchased the m1dbh, having that many connections in series is a headache.
What's stopping you from getting an ELK M1DBH now?  It sounds like your wiring is in place and all you need is a few RJ45 connectors and a crimper.

And yes, the ELK P112 is good, but the ELK P212S is better.

jpmargis said:
What's stopping you from getting an ELK M1DBH now?  It sounds like your wiring is in place and all you need is a few RJ45 connectors and a crimper.

And yes, the ELK P112 is good, but the ELK P212S is better.

Yes, ditto that.  Trust me, just pay the $40 or whatever the dbh costs and be patient while it ships to you.  In the mean time crimp your rj45's on all the wires and splice the wires at your devices as per the dbh instructions (if not already done that way)

that dhb is amazing, anyone not using it should really consider it.

I was getting the same errors when I first used the dhb and I was able to troubleshoot in seconds rather than days. I was able to get every device up and running except the nav keypads so I immediately knew I missed something because that can't be coincidence. Well I didn't read the instructions thoroughly like I thought I did, I forgot to go to each keypad and manually assign them an address. I was under the impression I can do that from the regular elk keypads through enrollment.

My system now powers on error free and is ready for programming which I hope I will tackle this weekend!

Back