ELK M1 + Uplink 2500 GSM communicator + Alarm Relay service

I know where the Olympic is. I also lived in North Babylon for some years.

I had the choice to use TCP/IP or cellular here. I chose cell because it was too easy to cut or disconnect the coax for the internet. Plus the response of the cell is very quick. When the alarm has triggered (a few times by accident, once because a sensor failed) my phone was ringing from the CS monitor in less than 15 seconds. I use VOIP (Vonage) so didn't have POTS. Of course, someone could have a jammer for the cell, but I feel that's less likely than someone cutting the cable. I do have cameras all around the exterior and the interior, but don't use them to trigger anything other than emails to me.

If I was still in NY, I'd use cell there, too. I did like Optimum hi-speed service, though. Fast and reliable.

Kevin

I know where the Olympic is. I also lived in North Babylon for some years.

I had the choice to use TCP/IP or cellular here. I chose cell because it was too easy to cut or disconnect the coax for the internet. Plus the response of the cell is very quick. When the alarm has triggered (a few times by accident, once because a sensor failed) my phone was ringing from the CS monitor in less than 15 seconds. I use VOIP (Vonage) so didn't have POTS. Of course, someone could have a jammer for the cell, but I feel that's less likely than someone cutting the cable. I do have cameras all around the exterior and the interior, but don't use them to trigger anything other than emails to me.

If I was still in NY, I'd use cell there, too. I did like Optimum hi-speed service, though. Fast and reliable.

Kevin

I will wait and see Panamanian's experience (I like his detailed information). I think I would like to get the Uplink as a backup in my house and a few of the installs I have done where people expressed some interest.

Panamanian, thank you for starting dialog about how to enhance our systems/automation. That's what is great about CT. However, I don't find it necessary to editorialize with personal opinions like "those greedy central stations with their multi year contracts" and " I don't believe in the monopoly and business practices central stations have in the US?" I'm tired of those that equate profit with greed. Why don't you just say don't want to spend the money?

I have the M1G and GSM reporting. I own my equipment and am not locked in with a contract with my central station company (a local company that's been here for 30 years.) I pay $27 plus tax per month, far less than the $50 you quote. If I relied on POTS or IP for notification, it would only be $20. I think that's quite reasonable compared to some of the prices I've seen. Of course, if a company provides free or reduced-cost equipment, the company needs to recoup the up-front costs through higher prices and/or a committment, similar to cellphone companies. There's no monopoly, since there are many firms I could change to with a variety of services and fees.

I'm also curious why anyone would want to leave security response to themselves. How great is your security when:

• You're in an area where your cell phone is not working or must be turned off, like on a plane?
  • You're in a situation where your phone is on, but you can't check it or respond, like in a business meeting?
  • Someone breaks into your home while you're there, and you're unable to summon help?
These are just a few of the situations I'm glad to have someone else as a backup for my home security. When my alarm company receives a report, if it's an emergency, I get a call in about 15 seconds to see if everything's okay. They can tell exactly what the violation is and if they don't get an answer or an answer without the code word, they summon the appropriate response.

Would I like to pay less for the service? Of course, and I probably can by using one of the online companies. But I prefer to have my security handled by a reliable local company. Plus, if I need it, they can service the system if I can't handle it myself.

Kevin

I guess somehow my post got off topic so I am going to clarify a few things for those that will read this post in the future.

My original post was about getting an M1 to work with Alarm Relay for the quoted price using an Uplink 2500 interfaced by a XSP serial expander. Nothing more nothing less.
You could get a direct SMS sent to you as well as Alarm Relay acting as an alarm monitoring station.

I did not and I still dont encourage anyone to perform self monitoring. Just because I could do it and I would like to do it, does not mean you should do the same.

My comments about the monitoring business in the US, their contracts and their profits are my personal opinion based on my local market.

In las Vegas where I live, the 2 companies that could provide Uplink, Tellular, and AES Intellinet are charging the cost of regular monitoring which is the standard $29.99 (ADT, Monitronics, etc) plus another $20 for radio or cell backup. When I asked for radio or cell as primary not a backup, prices remains the same. Also there is a $150 "setup fee" to install the communicator which is leased, I will not own it. Then the contract issue which could vary from monitoring station. When I asked about bringing my own communicator there was no discount either.
Also I need to pay extra for monitoring openings and closings, " its a business add on", a practice carried by ADT when I worked for them in VA back in 2002.
Yes, I can pay $50 a month, do I think I am paying a fair price? Absolutely NO.

For those who have the luxury to get a local monitoring station at a lower monthly rate or can get wholesale prices, good for you, but that is not my case.

I have personally setup a central station twice in a 10 year period, I know the equipment, I know the requirements, I know the redundancy factor of standby power supply, database/software, computer equipment , etc etc etc etc. This central station is located in Panama (central america) and we tried as much as we could to make it UL compliant. We didnt have to because UL listings out there at the time were just a fancy sticker that nobody knew what it meant but the owner wanted to make a difference and do things right. I also know it cost a lot of money and any business is driven by profit margins.

Without getting off topic let me tell you this to illustrate my personal views on the matter.
We decided to buy the central station software from a company in Austin, Texas. A few buyers sent their central station IT guys or whoever was in charge for a few days to get trained in all aspects of this software specially since it was a network /client application we had to setup the databases properly, and the data entry was very unique compared to other software available in the market at the time.
Two things happened during that trip:

1) I talked to people that worked for central stations across the US and you will be surprised about what they monitored or didnt monitor at the time, again that was at the time. During class when I asked about specific ways to do certain things people would ask me " why would you want to do something like that ? " and I had to always explain the reasons why employer did things differently. It was a great thing, we all shared information, knowledge and learned how to improve the way we monitored those customers.
2) I discovered a glitch in their software code where I would not get a zone description for a panel (any panel) transmitting in 4+2 format using an FBII CP-220 digital receiver.
They corrected this issue after their software engineer talked to me an replicated the problem. It turns out for years companies using their software and that specific receiver were simply reporting for example "burglary" but not which zone. As long as people got notified it seemed like nobody cared.

What I learned then is what drives me to believe now that central stations are not created equally and is not about UL listings what makes a central station. Is how they handle the operations backstage, how they handle data and what actions they take with that data.

Also let me clarify something too, comparing a cell phone business with a central station business is far from the reality.

I worked almost 3 years for T-Mobile, I went to countless meetings about how the company operates, and believe me central stations do not have to spend the amount of money a cell phone company has to put into infra structure, towers, engineers and communication equipment. Its a never ending expense in order to expand their capabilities and coverage. Central stations cost money but once they are up an running adding line cards to a receiver does not compare to adding a tower.
Also when it comes to subsidy of equipment, there is no such thing with a central station or alarm company, they get dealer prices, discounted prices. Then they charge you an "installation fee" that covers mostly paying the tech to install the equipment. They recover that cost getting you to sign a 3 years contract, a standard here in Las Vegas with any company, local or national, no name or big name.

Cell phone subsidy is a multi million contract between a carrier and a manufacturer where they decide how many cell phones will be produced at what cost per unit with what features or capabilities, which at the end bring the cost per phone down allowing carriers to give you a discounted or "free phone" which is not free after all but at a cost that the carrier could recover in the first year of service hence the standard 2 year contract of most carriers. And those who argue they can get a one year contract or no contract, sure, but how much the same phone cost you???

Progressively cell phone monthly rates have lowered and lowered, more minutes and more features and services have been added, all to drive competition and get more people on board. And when your contract is up you get another nice discount on a new phone if you sign the dotted line again.

I do not know of any central station that after recovering their cost to "set you up" has progressively lowered their rates or offered you value added features? When you start paying $29.99 you are locked forever at that price, in fact it increases over time. ADT charged $24.99 back in 2002 now they knocked on my door and wanted $29.99 along with every body else coming to give me a sales pitch and how they will give me a "banking grade free security system".

Im glad to see companies like Alarm Relay driving competition, if other industries compete by adding more features and benefits for what you pay, why arent we paying less or at least getting more? Why central stations with their huge profit margins like someone else posted here aren't giving you a break and a discount for being a loyal costumer?

My final comment is... I wanted to show others that there are alternatives out there, choices and competition is good, I didnt start this topic to debate about business models or practices or what it takes to run a business. I care about my bottom line, my pocket, specially in this economy, you should too.

I have a Elk M1 Gold panel and I'm trying to get it setup with Alarm Relay.

My current configuration is the Uplink 2500 that is connected to the Elk-P983 with the use of the Elk-M1XSP (serial port expander) The uplink 2500 has the Elk-W046A (cable) attached to it that is plugged into the serial port expander.

So today I'm on with Alarm Relay and they are telling me that I shouldn't be using serial port expander and to remove it. They are also telling me that I need to put a wire on the + and – leads of the Uplink 2500 and tie it back to the siren on the M1 panel.

I seriously need some help. Can anyone PLEASE offer some assistance.

Find one of their techs that has a clue and what you're talking about first.

Tell them you are going into the serial on the Uplink and via their dealer portal, scroll down to the bottom of the page and change the radio button on the setup screen to serial. It's on the literal bottom of the activation page and if they're not familiar with it, they'll miss it. You are sending full data and not generic zones or sampled bell output to the cell.

Then have them fill out the appropriate info for how it'll hit their receivers, either a POTS transmission or to one of their IP receivers and the account number into the unit, then send the program over the air.

Back