ELK M1G and RCS TR40 - Full Support Yet?

inline

Please excuse if this has been answered, I've searched around and never found anything conclusive. In summary, I'm looking to add thermostats to my ELK M1G and pretty much set on the RCS TR40 units (I'll need 2), however there were threads that they weren't fully supported by the XSP unit, either some functions not accessible, or sending text out to the TR40, or reading an external temp from the OS21 ext temp sensor.

Can anyone confirm what the current status is for ELK's support of the RCS TR40? I like that unit because of the ease of use for retrofit install. Seems like HAI would require me to run another cable to where the thermostat is and AprilAire just looks overly complicated.

Thanks!

Please excuse if this has been answered, I've searched around and never found anything conclusive. In summary, I'm looking to add thermostats to my ELK M1G and pretty much set on the RCS TR40 units (I'll need 2), however there were threads that they weren't fully supported by the XSP unit, either some functions not accessible, or sending text out to the TR40, or reading an external temp from the OS21 ext temp sensor.

Can anyone confirm what the current status is for ELK's support of the RCS TR40? I like that unit because of the ease of use for retrofit install. Seems like HAI would require me to run another cable to where the thermostat is and AprilAire just looks overly complicated.

Thanks!

Basic functionality, as defined by what Elk considers a Tstat's capabilities:
- Separate Heat and Cool set points
- Mode (Off, Heat, Cool, Auto, E-Heat)
- Fan (Auto, Off)
- Current Temp
- Indication if stat is in 'hold' or 'run' for program
- [Current Humidity is defined in protocol, not available]
- Sends date/time to the stats every 3-5 minutes

This is a fraction of what the RCS Stats & Zone controllers provide.

I agree that it is well short of what is available or desirable.

To get around that, I have a work-in-progress (python, twisted framework) that polls/updates the defined stats and utilizes the ethernet interface, which now fully supports "external" tstats, to make them available without using an M1XSP or being limited by it. By doing this I have access to not just the basic information but can map dampers/mechanical back to Elk relays (read-only from Elk), map other parameters like OT to an unused tstat or custom variable and am looking to put an web interface on it to get access to other parameters. Not quite ready for prime time, but close.

Jay

Thanks!

- Fan (Auto, Off)
- Current Temp

To get around that, I have a work-in-progress (python, twisted framework) that polls/updates the defined stats and utilizes the ethernet interface, which now fully supports "external" tstats, to make them available without using an M1XSP or being limited by it. By doing this I have access to not just the basic information but can map dampers/mechanical back to Elk relays (read-only from Elk), map other parameters like OT to an unused tstat or custom variable and am looking to put an web interface on it to get access to other parameters. Not quite ready for prime time, but close.

Jay

I have a question. You stated " Indication if stat is in 'hold' or 'run' for program", can that be changed from run to hold to away? That would be ideal as I could then just use the pre-programmed setpoints in the thermostat for "away" mode and probably cut down on the amount of rules to write... If not, any idea if this functionality will be added into the M1-XSP? Spanky?

Thanks!

- Fan (Auto, Off)
- Current Temp

Jay

I have a question. You stated " Indication if stat is in 'hold' or 'run' for program", can that be changed from run to hold to away? That would be ideal as I could then just use the pre-programmed setpoints in the thermostat for "away" mode and probably cut down on the amount of rules to write... If not, any idea if this functionality will be added into the M1-XSP? Spanky?
Well, since I just hooked up my first RCS TR40 thermostat, I guess I can answer my own question, on the M1XEP screen it shows "Hold Temperature Mode ON", but no way to change it as a FYI for someone looking this up later on...

Well, since I just hooked up my first RCS TR40 thermostat, I guess I can answer my own question, on the M1XEP screen it shows "Hold Temperature Mode ON", but no way to change it as a FYI for someone looking this up later on...

Ditto, mine always says hold as well.

Ditto, mine always says hold as well.

Does anyone know if this has been resolved yet? I'm looking to add an M1G comaptible thermostat to my M1G and want to make sure I'm not making a mistake with the TR40.

Tx for any input!

Eric

I can confirm that you can change the hold state of the TR40.

I can do this in both the Elk rules and via eKeypad.

I can confirm that you can change the hold state of the TR40.

I can do this in both the Elk rules and via eKeypad.

Thanks for the confirmation. Can you tell me what you think of the TR40? Are you happy with it? Do you feel it is a good thermostat for the money? Are you able to send custom messages to it from the M1G?

From what I can tell, the only options for thermostats are the RCS TR40/16, the Aprilaire 8870 and the HAI ones. I'm not overly impressed with what I saw with the HAI units, so it comes down to the TR40 vs the 8870 I think. And I'm not sure what you get extra with the 8870.

Thanks,

Eric

I'm interested in the RCS thermostats as well. Actually, I am trying to decide between the HAI RC2000, the RCS TR60 and the Aprilaire. If the Elk M1G can control the "Hold" mode of any of these then that would help make my decision.

I heard (not confirmed) that the HAI thermostats cannot be changed via the protocol if the stat is in "Hold" mode. If the TR40 does work then I would assume the same is true for the TR60.

Yes. On the HAI thermostats (I believe all of them) if the hold button is enabled locally or via the API the thermostat will stop responding to all remote API calls. Ironically this does not apply to controlling the hold function itself.

The TR40 and TR60 are functionally identical in respect to integration with the Elk. However, technically there are some differences.

Thanks Jayson. We just finished the pre-wire phase. I had my builder home run a CAT6 to each thermostat location AND home run a CAT6 from each HVAC system. So I should be OK to go with the RCS thermostat. I know that they use a 2 component design (controller and thermostat).

Yes. On the HAI thermostats (I believe all of them) if the hold button is enabled locally or via the API the thermostat will stop responding to all remote API calls. Ironically this does not apply to controlling the hold function itself.

Does that mean that one can "unhold" the thermostat(s) via the API, or once the hold is enabled the only way to get automation working again is to "unhold" it locally?

Is there a way to query the status of the thermostat at all while in hold?

From what I understand the HAI and the RCS all show the same functionality. Is the same true for the Aprilaire?

Tx,

Eric

Back