Elk mk1 gold. Will the standard backup battery suffice for my needs

Pcarfan

I am very new to this, and would like some help here.
I will be using the Elk mk1 Gold security system with the standard backup battery it comes with, and I want to make sure it can handle all these equipment.
- I will be using 4 keypads and one elk wireless transceiver (Do these draw power form the circuit board?)
- Two CO detectors (GE 250-CO safeair) (normal draw 20mA and during alarm 40mA...I guess I take the operational draw and say Total 80mA)
- 9 Glass break sensors (5822A-W) (Max current draw 25mA, Total 225mA)
- 3 speaker/microphone (Elk-M1TWSF) (5mA each, Total 15mA)
- 2 Elk strobes (current draw 210mA , Total 420mA...I assume this is when it's functioning)
- 7 motion sensors (Aurora - Ademco PIR) (I think it's 90mA for a Total of 630 mA)
(This is the pdf http://library.ademconet.com/MWT/fs2/AURORA/Aurora-Data-Sheet.PDF, is it 90mA?)

I am installing leak sensors (GRI 2800 Surface Mount Water Sensor) which is 2 wire and doesn't draw current. The door and window sensors doesn't need it. I will not be hooking up the Elk to smoke detectors. Am I mising anything else that draws current.

The total above comes to 1370 mA. I think the elk is good for 2,000mA so I should be safe right?

(I might use a couple of more motion sensors....should one be in the garage? then it would need a seperate indoor siren too?)

Just want to make sure this is how it's calculated.

PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF I AM MISSING ANY TYPICAL COMPONENT THAT DRAWS CURRENT WHICH I HAVEN'T INCLUDED HERE.

Dang forgot the indoor sirens

-2 ELK Echo Compact 100dB Siren (draws 480mA each for a total of 960 mA)

I am sure the 1.000 mA is during function but this will push the total to 2330 mA without garage motion sensor or siren there.

Does this mean I need extra battery, how exactly do I do this?

Do I just buy another battery? where in the M1K panel will it be wired to?

Thanks!

P.S: Could a speaker replace the need for this siren????

Does the Elk Products SP15 15W Indoor/Outdoor Speaker draw power? I will be using two of these as well or two outdoor sirens (leaning towards speakers from what I've read here)

Are you setup on the Elk website as a owner? If so, you can use their power draw worksheet listed in the Support section.

drvnbysound said:
Are you setup on the Elk website as a owner? If so, you can use their power draw worksheet listed in the Support section.

I haven't bought it yet, and it needs a serial number to enroll

Pcarfan said:
I am very new to this, and would like some help here.
I will be using the Elk mk1 Gold security system with the standard backup battery it comes with, and I want to make sure it can handle all these equipment.
- I will be using 4 keypads and one elk wireless transceiver (Do these draw power form the circuit board?)
- Two CO detectors (GE 250-CO safeair) (normal draw 20mA and during alarm 40mA...I guess I take the operational draw and say Total 80mA)
- 9 Glass break sensors (5822A-W) (Max current draw 25mA, Total 225mA)
- 3 speaker/microphone (Elk-M1TWSF) (5mA each, Total 15mA)
- 2 Elk strobes (current draw 210mA , Total 420mA...I assume this is when it's functioning)
- 7 motion sensors (Aurora - Ademco PIR) (I think it's 90mA for a Total of 630 mA)
(This is the pdf http://library.ademconet.com/MWT/fs2/AURORA/Aurora-Data-Sheet.PDF, is it 90mA?)

I am installing leak sensors (GRI 2800 Surface Mount Water Sensor) which is 2 wire and doesn't draw current. The door and window sensors doesn't need it. I will not be hooking up the Elk to smoke detectors. Am I mising anything else that draws current.

The total above comes to 1370 mA. I think the elk is good for 2,000mA so I should be safe right?

(I might use a couple of more motion sensors....should one be in the garage? then it would need a seperate indoor siren too?)

Just want to make sure this is how it's calculated.

PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF I AM MISSING ANY TYPICAL COMPONENT THAT DRAWS CURRENT WHICH I HAVEN'T INCLUDED HERE.

The keypads, main board, zones...
The VAUX which powers that is only rated for either 1 or 1.25A.

Pcarfan said:
Dang forgot the indoor sirens

-2 ELK Echo Compact 100dB Siren (draws 480mA each for a total of 960 mA)

I am sure the 1.000 mA is during function but this will push the total to 2330 mA without garage motion sensor or siren there.

Does this mean I need extra battery, how exactly do I do this?

Do I just buy another battery? where in the M1K panel will it be wired to?

Thanks!

P.S: Could a speaker replace the need for this siren????

You need a power supply, not a battery.

Pcarfan said:
Does the Elk Products SP15 15W Indoor/Outdoor Speaker draw power? I will be using two of these as well or two outdoor sirens (leaning towards speakers from what I've read here)

Of course.... see above.

Elk is good for 1A. Anything else you need an aux supply.

Battery size varies based on calcs and standby desired.

Because of the additional peripherals and strobes, I'd recommend at least a 2A aux power supply in addition to the panel itself.

DELInstallations said:
Elk is good for 1A. Anything else you need an aux supply.

Battery size varies based on calcs and standby desired.

Because of the additional peripherals and strobes, I'd recommend at least a 2A aux power supply in addition to the panel itself.

I am planning to use the Elk PD9 power distribution module. I don't have a full understanding of it yet, but I assume this will help. It looks like the PD9 just plugs into a wall outlet.

When you say elk is good for 1A, that is when the power goes out and the battery takes over right?....there is no problems when mk1 is connected to a wall outlet with power On right?...or is this understanding of mine incorrect?

If this is correct, and we are only worried about power draw when the battery has to take over, how else do I give this auxillary power?

How do I give the 2A of auxillary power to the elk board....I am very new to this, can you please elaborate.

thanks!

P.S: Now I am thinking of using this, which has battery back up...what do you think?
http://www.elkproducts.com/product-catalog/elk-p112-k-12-volts-dc-1-amp-power-supply-and-charger-in-metal-enclosure

I am planning to use the Elk PD9 power distribution module. I don't have a full understanding of it yet, but I assume this will help. It looks like the PD9 just plugs into a wall outlet.
No the PD9 is a power distribution module.

Pcarfan said:
When you say elk is good for 1A, that is when the power goes out and the battery takes over right?....there is no problems when mk1 is connected to a wall outlet with power On right?...or is this understanding of mine incorrect?
Incorrect. There has never been a definite answer to the amount of power the system can provide overall, but 1A max on the Aux outputs, during alarm condition, is recommended. Anything more must be provided by external power.

Pcarfan said:
If this is correct, and we are only worried about power draw when the battery has to take over, how else do I give this auxillary power?

How do I give the 2A of auxillary power to the elk board....I am very new to this, can you please elaborate.
You don't. The aux power is for the devices, such as a siren or motion detector. Power comes from the supply and the zone output goes directly to the system.

Thanks!

So, I guess I could use an ELK-P212S or ELK-P112K for additional aux power. Then the one 12V DC out put from either the ELK-P212S or ELK-P112K will connect to the ELK-PD9 which will have nine DC outputs . Then my motion sensors, glass break sensors or siren, anything that needs 4 wires, the two of which will connect to the ELK-PD9.

Is this correct?

video321 said:
No the PD9 is a power distribution module.
 Incorrect. There has never been a definite answer to the amount of power the system can provide overall, but 1A max on the Aux outputs, during alarm condition, is recommended. Anything more must be provided by external power.
 You don't. The aux power is for the devices, such as a siren or motion detector. Power comes from the supply and the zone output goes directly to the system.

Back