elk motion triggered lights

mustangcoupe

I am just starting to play around with elk rules, and controlling lightning. How many times do you allow for the motion detector to trip before turning on the switch? or how long (and how) do you detect motion for before turning on a light? turning off was the easy part as I just waited for 2 min after the last motion was detected if motion is detected during that 2 minute period it restarts the timer.... (but my wife said that may be too short as she was washing dishes and the light went off on her.... :ph34r: )

Short answer is - it all depends....

Here's what I do:

How many times do you allow for the motion detector to trip before turning on the switch?
Once

or how long (and how) do you detect motion for before turning on a light?
Depends a lot on what you are doing. When motion is tripped, I'll tell the light to go on for X minutes. In my house this ranges from 3 minutes to 30 minutes. Sometimes people sit still in the rest room for a while :ph34r: .

turning off was the easy part as I just waited for 2 min after the last motion was detected if motion is detected during that 2 minute period it restarts the timer
I don't get this fancy. I keep it simple and just turn it on for X minutes. Yeah, err on the high side. A sure way to get the wife mad is if lights turn off too soon....

When setting the light cutoff time out, you may want to use the custom values which can be changed easily from the keypad instead of having to edit Rules.

For example:
WHENEVER Motion Detector [Zone 1] BECOMES NOT SECURE
THEN TURN LivingRoom Light [Light A1] ON FOR LightTime [Cust Set 1]

From the keypad you can change custom setting 1 (Cust Set 1) to whatever time you want.

I sometimes have the light dim to 50% after the first timeout for 1 minute to give the person notice to cause some motion for the detector to pickup if they are still in the room.

I agree with Martin, the timeout really depends on the room and the type of activity. I have found between 5-8 Mins works for most of my rooms and 2-3 for halls or areas that are only passed through briefly.

I also have rules that put the lights at 35% if it's late at night so I don't get blasted by the lights. I have found this to be one of my favorite features when I have to let the Dog out in the middle of the night.

I agree with Martin, the timeout really depends on the room and the type of activity. I have found between 5-8 Mins works for most of my rooms and 2-3 for halls or areas that are only passed through briefly.

I also have rules that put the lights at 35% if it's late at night so I don't get blasted by the lights. I have found this to be one of my favorite features when I have to let the Dog out in the middle of the night.

Low level lighting is perfect for the kids potty runs in the middle of the night as well. Also program the panel to turn all lights on in the event of a fire/co etc. and toggle them for a burg alarm.

whats the best sensor to use for this? PIR or motion?

What i would like to do is have a sensor in the bedroom so that when someone gets out of bed, it turns on whatever lights at whatever level. arent there issues concerning movements IN bed? last thing i want is a light to come on when i turn over in bed. whats best? put sensors lower to floor? i forsee this being an option in almost every install. thanks

Back