Elk Navigator and flush mount speaker

gerasha

Im about to buy Elk Navigator ELKM1KPNAV, and im looking for solution how to flush mount speaker ELK-SP12F.
Is it possible? Can i hear it from inside wall? Or i better to go with external ELK-73/74 Echo series? Speaker needed for elk anouncement and siren.

Thank you

Plastics, wiring and other items that are not plenum rated should NOT be installed in spaces used for return air.

Good way to kill someone in a fire from the production of toxic fumes.

Getting slightly off topic, but....

My post was regarding placing components or wiring within return air ductwork, which has at least 2 reasons to not be done, as it's a code violation, as well as the facts regarding the production of toxic smoke in the event of a fire. Even plenum cable should not be run through a duct, a plenum is generally the space above a drop tile ceiling that is used for return air when fixed returns are not provided.

Studies have been done where the products of combustion from plenum cable are actually more dangerous than a standard cable, with the difference being a plenum cable is more resistant to the spread of flame than a normal cable, but when it burns, the smoke is more noxious.

I posted my suggestion of locating a SP12F in a somewhat different location than behind the keypad, like adjacent to a duplex outlet or similar.

Well...for starters, the Elk Navigator was just released in August 2011, so not everyone is going to have one as compared to a KP or KP2.

What is the affliction with cramming a speaker behind the touch screen? This thing is really small as compared to a KP2. Read the specs...

How about this:

I would say you either want the navigator or you don't want the navigator. If you want a "instructions included" way of putting a speaker behind a keypad then I would suggest buying a KP2 or getting very creative and / or custom.

If I were going to try to get a speaker behind the navigator I would start by using a box on its side like the Navigator it is designed to be mounted and I would try dremeling the speaker into the side of the box (which is really the bottom when mounted sideways).

You could always be the first and post up your findings. That is what this site is all about. (OK one of the things)

If my navigator wasn't mounted on the edge of a stud I would have done this when I installed mine but I'm not hacking into a stud...Unfortunately, for me, It was more important to have the Navigator centered under the existing thermostat than it was to get all crazy with a speaker...

Take a risk. Good Luck! Let us know what you come up with. I'm sure others will thank you.

I'm installing 3 PKNAVs in my home, and I am mounting the flush mount speaker in its own old work box about 6 inches below each NAV.

tenholde

Back