ELK PD9HC Resetting

networkcrasher

Does anyone have any experience with an ELK PD9 seemingly resetting and setting off an OmniPro II? I have 6 of the outputs hooked up to motions and galss breaks, and up until today, it's worked great. Today, I've had 2 instances where the alarm has gone off, seemingly because the PD9 is having issues.

8/11 at 12:41 PM Security Disarmed by Mark
8/11 at 12:37 PM Burglary alarm activated
8/11 at 12:37 PM Basement Motion tripped
8/11 at 12:37 PM Kit Glass Break tripped
8/11 at 12:37 PM Kitchen Motion tripped
8/11 at 12:37 PM Foyer Glass Brk tripped
8/11 at 12:37 PM Base Glass Brk tripped
8/11 at 12:37 PM Front Dr Motion tripped

8/11 at 12:01 PM Alarm reset
8/11 at 11:55 AM Burglary alarm activated
8/11 at 11:55 AM Basement Motion tripped
8/11 at 11:55 AM Kit Glass Break tripped
8/11 at 11:55 AM Kitchen Motion tripped
8/11 at 11:55 AM Foyer Glass Brk tripped
8/11 at 11:55 AM Base Glass Brk tripped
8/11 at 11:55 AM Front Dr Motion tripped

8/11 at 9:08 AM Security Armed Away by Quick Arm

Obviously it's pretty tough to trip all of these items at the same time, and they all happen to be hooked up to my PD9. They are all also hooked up to a zone input expander on my Omni, but nothing else on the expander tripped - just items requiring power.

It's actually a PD9HC, not that it may matter. Both the Omni and the PD9 are hooked up to the same input transformer. I just wanted to isolate the current requirements of these sensors outside of the Omni's power outputs.

Came home to find out the power went out a few times. I do find it odd the Omni didn't log this. Probably need to figure out a way to get a battery on the PD9. Never really thought about this before. :(

Obviously it's pretty tough to trip all of these items at the same time, and they all happen to be hooked up to my PD9. They are all also hooked up to a zone input expander on my Omni, but nothing else on the expander tripped - just items requiring power.

It's actually a PD9HC, not that it may matter. Both the Omni and the PD9 are hooked up to the same input transformer. I just wanted to isolate the current requirements of these sensors outside of the Omni's power outputs.

Not certain what you mean about both Omni and PD9 being hooked to the same input transformer? Do you mean you are powering the PD9 from the 12VDC output of the Omni, and the primary source of power for both is the Omni AC transformer? Because the Omni uses a 24VAC transformer primary and then supplies 12VDC outputs for peripherals. Motion detectors and glassbreaks run off 12VDC. Can't imagine how you haven't fried the detectors if as you say are hooked to the 24VAC transformer. You need to connect the PD9 to either a 12VDC output from the Omni OR to a separate 12VDC Charger/Power Supply that has a rechargeable backup battery. If the power source you are using doesn't have a backup battery you will have a false alarms everytime the power fails. I'm still uncertain where you have been powering those detectors!

Not certain what you mean about both Omni and PD9 being hooked to the same input transformer? Do you mean you are powering the PD9 from the 12VDC output of the Omni, and the primary source of power for both is the Omni AC transformer? Because the Omni uses a 24VAC transformer primary and then supplies 12VDC outputs for peripherals. Motion detectors and glassbreaks run off 12VDC. Can't imagine how you haven't fried the detectors if as you say are hooked to the 24VAC transformer. You need to connect the PD9 to either a 12VDC output from the Omni OR to a separate 12VDC Charger/Power Supply that has a rechargeable backup battery. If the power source you are using doesn't have a backup battery you will have a false alarms everytime the power fails. I'm still uncertain where you have been powering those detectors!

You're exactly right - what I initially wrote is incorrect now that I read back over it. I have a separate wall wart type transformer for the PD9. It's a 12v 700mA wart.

I meant to say they're on the same outet with dedicated transformers.

I just need to figure out a way to get a battery behind the PD9. I just haven't had any power failures while the alarm was on until yesterday! Not bad for living here since September...

You're exactly right - what I initially wrote is incorrect now that I read back over it. I have a separate wall wart type transformer for the PD9. It's a 12v 700mA wart.

I just need to figure out a way to get a battery behind the PD9. I just haven't had any power failures while the alarm was on until yesterday! Not bad for living here since September...

Understood. So what you really need is a charger/power supply, not a 12VDC wall wart. Those are OK for cameras or other devices that aren't connected to alarm inputs but not for motions, glassbreaks, etc.

You could actually connect your PD9 to the Aux. output of the Omni as it is rated for 1A (1000mA). You said the wall wart is 700mA and your actual load is probably well under that. Just be certain to account for any other devices already connected to the Omni, then calculate the TOTAL combined load to be sure you are under the 1A limit.

Understood. So what you really need is a charger/power supply, not a 12VDC wall wart. Those are OK for cameras or other devices that aren't connected to alarm inputs but not for motions, glassbreaks, etc.

You could actually connect your PD9 to the Aux. output of the Omni as it is rated for 1A (1000mA). You said the wall wart is 700mA and your actual load is probably well under that. Just be certain to account for any other devices already connected to the Omni, then calculate the TOTAL combined load to be sure you are under the 1A limit.

That's really what I was worried about - the total load on the Omni, especially with the sirens (I have 4 peizo interior sounders and 1 external horn sounder). Is there a way to measure the current load? I know you can do it on an Elk, but haven't figured out how to do it on an Omni, other than testing the battery. The battery test number doesn't have any real value, other than some thresholds HAI has set. When I did my initial calculations on the current draw of the sirens and smokes, it was about .5A. That's why I went with the PD9.

Plus, I like how the PD9 breaks out the connections.

That's really what I was worried about - the total load on the Omni, especially with the sirens (I have 4 peizo interior sounders and 1 external horn sounder). Is there a way to measure the current load? I know you can do it on an Elk, but haven't figured out how to do it on an Omni, other than testing the battery. The battery test number doesn't have any real value, other than some thresholds HAI has set. When I did my initial calculations on the current draw of the sirens and smokes, it was about .5A. That's why I went with the PD9.

Plus, I like how the PD9 breaks out the connections.

You could hook up your PD9 directly to the battery, you would need an inline 2A fuse on the hot wire, Radio shack has them.

You could hook up your PD9 directly to the battery, you would need an inline 2A fuse on the hot wire, Radio shack has them.
Connecting directly to the battery is Not a good recommendation for continuous use devices. You would be better off connecting to the panels' Aux. Output and staying under the stated total continuous current rating. Drawing continuous power from the battery is somewhat unsafe even with the inline 2A fuse, and it's also not good because the panel still has to work harder to supply more recharge power to replace the power being consumed from the battery.

That continuous current rating of 1A on the Aux output is there for a reason. The Mfg. has already taken into consideration the power for operating the board and occasionally blasting the siren. As long as you can stay under the 1A rating with all your continuous use devices the panel should be fine and you won't need another power supply. If not, then you need to add a separate 12VDC charger/power supply. Stay away from the DC wall wart for alarm devices!

Back