Elk RP triggers McAfee Quarantine

jimhannah

Have had Elk m1G for many years (DIY install) and have used RP regularly.  About six months ago McAfee identified the Elk RP as having a Trojan and quarantined the file.  Have had little help from McAfee in solving the problem.  To use RP now I simply turn off McAfee's Real-Time Scanning and Restore the quarantined file while I'm using it.  Of course that's a pain and there's obviously some sort of problem.  In fact, if I spend too much time programming before saving my work, RP will crash and I have to restart my PC to resume work (losing unsaved work).  Any experience with this problem?  I am hesitant to download a new version of software since the system is working great now, but will do that if it's the best solution.  Thanks for any advice.

I had issues similar to this when using AVG.  I think upgrading RP fixed it at the time.  You could also see if you can exclude the executable from alerting.

I just use Microsoft Security Essentials now.  AVG, Mcaffee, Norton all consume way to many resources nowadays and come with way too much bloatware.  

wuench said:
I had issues similar to this when using AVG.  I think upgrading RP fixed it at the time.  You could also see if you can exclude the executable from alerting.

I just use Microsoft Security Essentials now.  AVG, Mcaffee, Norton all consume way to many resources nowadays and come with way too much bloatware.  
What he said.

Dump McAfee and stay away from AVG and Norton. You'll be glad you did.

Thanks much for rapid response.  I went ahead and upgraded to latest ElkRP2.  No virus issues and no systems issues after install.  Simple and seemless process.  Will seriously consider your advice regarding dumping McAfee.  Thanks again.

wuench said:

42etus said:
Dump McAfee and stay away from AVG and Norton. You'll be glad you did.

:hesaid: :hesaid: :hesaid: :hesaid: :hesaid: :hesaid: :hesaid: :hesaid:

AVG, Norton, McAffee are all out to make money; Microsoft is trying to protect their own reputation.  Not to mention, nobody knows if Windows is right better than MS.

Norton - especially 360, causes more problems than it fixes.  AVG was once an OK option but now carries more virus-like attributes itself often really screwing up your computer.  McAffee I haven't touched in quite a while... Essentials is free, updates with Windows Upates, and seems to work pretty well.

Back