ElkRP and other software from AO?

dbinaz

I read some posts here that said ppl got 3 cd's with their orders. I didn't get any. Oversight or is it not happening any more?

D

dbinaz said:
I read some posts here that said ppl got 3 cd's with their orders. I didn't get any. Oversight or is it not happening any more?

D
I just got my M1 package and it had the Elk Software, Elk-ME Training, and ELK-RP training.

dbinaz said:

D
Probably just an oversight, they include them as a convenience. All the Elk software and updates are found here. Only thing is you need an account setup to download and that only happens M-F. If you are in desparate need of RP over the weekend PM me and I can help you out.

I need suggestions on what you would like to see in new training videos. I am getting ready to start a new video series.

Steve said:
dbinaz said:

D
Probably just an oversight, they include them as a convenience. All the Elk software and updates are found here. Only thing is you need an account setup to download and that only happens M-F. If you are in desparate need of RP over the weekend PM me and I can help you out.
I already have my account there, just haven't gone through it yet. Downloading now. Thanks for the info. I thought the RP software was something that had to be purchased. Guess not.

Thanks,
D

dbinaz said:
I already have my account there, just haven't gone through it yet. Downloading now. Thanks for the info. I thought the RP software was something that had to be purchased. Guess not.
Nope, RP is one of the real beautys and selling points of the M1 - free and easy config software. You might be confusing it with Elk RM which is the siftware that runs on the touchscreens. That needs to be purchased separately for a desktop.

Spanky said:
I need suggestions on what you would like to see in new training videos. I am getting ready to start a new video series.
I'd like a video on how to use one of those special rats to do the wiring and programming! :D

oh, so your the voice behind those videos :D .... more complex rules using virtual outputs might be good... (unless we are getting more features in the rules soon?)

Spanky said:
Hi Spanky,

I consider the Elk installation manual to be excellent. Even so there are some things that just aren't apparent. An example is the use of [insert condition] in voice descriptions. How do you use this option, or [say number], [say up/down]?

A review of some of the questions on this group will indicate where installers are having problems. For me the basic installation was simple, it's those little things that don't come easy at my age (63). For me the concept of Tasks escaped me until I tinkered with them a bit. I equate them to macros that can be conveniently called from a keypad or another rule.

A training video might include some installation planning tips, like keeping often used tasks assigned to lower numbered positions so they show up first when keypad control is used.

A tip like using an output/timer on startup to inhibit/skip some rules until the system stabilizes would be handy for beginners.

Many beginners may not be used to ladder logic programming and a primer on this would save them some time.

Incidentally, I never got a response concerning a previous question about rules firing when various "areas" are armed. In my case, all violated zones (in any area) trip a rule when area 2 is armed. So, if I have a rule that says when zone x becomes unsecure do y, y gets done when area 2 is armed, even though y was done once when zone x was initially violated. Hope that makes sense :D

An explanation of how the M1 handles text messages to be displayed on the LCD would help. Depending on display option settings it can be hit or miss if your text message will actually display at all.

Looking forward to the video :D

John

Hi Spanky,

I agree with most of carry15+1's ideas and here are a couple of my own.

How about some installation tips for all of the peripheral Elk boards, hubs, sensors, with some prgramming tips on how to get them up and running.

Some programming tips on use of external data, (ie: temps and analog inputs) for better whole house integration.

I know this is off the subject, but the biggest (or smallest) problem that I have is that the Elk can is too small. How about an optional can that is 50-100% larger. With the M1, a battery and and 1 input expander board, I can barely fit the zone wiring around to the terminals. As soon as I have to add an elk relay board, hub or serial interface I am out of luck.

There is almost no installation that I don't have to put external boards into the structured wiring can and run power and data wiring between them. They cannot always be co-located.

Back