ElkRP under openSUSE 11 with Wine -- Can't Find Database

GraysonPeddie

Hi. I'm running openSUSE as a server, which will serve as a basis for home automation/security controller.

I have used Wine to install ElkRP, which installs fine. So when I launch ElkRP after restarting my computer, I get this message:

Cannot find the operators database or it is not a valid ElkRP operators database.
If it does not exist, you will need to re-install ElkRP.
Do you want to browse for it?

Clicking "yes" exits the program.

Note that I did have Mono installed, but that doesn't make a difference.

I could buy Windows, but my income is super-low-end (read: Social Security Income due to my visual impairment) and that I'm a college student at Tallahassee Community College. So, for my current situation, I can't afford Windows and that in my opinion, Windows is for the rich. ;)

When using XP the files will be placed in:

c:\Documents and settings\All Users\Application Data\RP

In ELKRP you can go to Setup/Options and see where the installation has placed the files. In your installation, I do not know if the installation software knew where to put the files.

You can try it under Linux (any distro, such as Ubuntu or openSUSE). You have to download Wine from the package manager. Here's where ElkRP gets installed:

/home/grayson/wine/drive_c/Program Files/ElkRP

Wine tricks the installer into thinking that it's running under the NTFS partition instead of the ext3 file system under Linux.

Any Linux users out there who can help?

Update: Okay, during the installation under Wine, here's what I get:

(Note: The first line is where I am prompted to execute a command; in this case: wine ElkRP_Full_Install_1_6_26.exe

Code:
grayson@grayson-osserver:~/Desktop> wine ElkRP_Full_Install_1_6_26.exe
  err:wineboot:ProcessRunKeys Error running cmd #0 (2)
  ALSA lib pcm.c:2104:(snd_pcm_open_conf) Cannot open shared library /usr/lib/alsa-lib/libasound_module_pcm_pulse.so
  ALSA lib pcm.c:2104:(snd_pcm_open_conf) Cannot open shared library /usr/lib/alsa-lib/libasound_module_pcm_pulse.so
  fixme:reg:GetNativeSystemInfo (0x3226dc) using GetSystemInfo()
  fixme:richedit:RichEditWndProc_common WM_STYLECHANGING: stub
  fixme:richedit:RichEditWndProc_common WM_STYLECHANGED: stub
  fixme:richedit:RichEditWndProc_common WM_STYLECHANGING: stub
  fixme:richedit:RichEditWndProc_common WM_STYLECHANGED: stub
  fixme:shell:IShellLinkA_fnGetPath (0x1d574d0): WIN32_FIND_DATA is not yet filled.
  fixme:shell:IShellLinkA_fnGetPath (0x1d574d0): WIN32_FIND_DATA is not yet filled.
  fixme:shell:IShellLinkA_fnGetPath (0x1d71038): WIN32_FIND_DATA is not yet filled.
  fixme:shell:IShellLinkA_fnGetPath (0x1d71038): WIN32_FIND_DATA is not yet filled.
  fixme:shell:IShellLinkA_fnGetPath (0x1d710a0): WIN32_FIND_DATA is not yet filled.
  fixme:shell:IShellLinkA_fnGetPath (0x1d710a0): WIN32_FIND_DATA is not yet filled.
  fixme:shell:DllCanUnloadNow stub
  fixme:shell:IShellLinkA_fnGetPath (0x1d74f58): WIN32_FIND_DATA is not yet filled.
  fixme:shell:IShellLinkA_fnGetPath (0x1d74f58): WIN32_FIND_DATA is not yet filled.
  fixme:ole:DllRegisterServer stub
  fixme:advapi:DecryptFileA "y:\\b24a0eda3d796db048e89f\\" 00000000
  fixme:setupapi:pSetupGetGlobalFlags stub
  File not found

File not found

File not found

File not found

grayson@grayson-osserver:~/Desktop> fixme:shell:DllCanUnloadNow stub

Here's a screenshot of what ElkRP shows me the error under openSUSE 11 (again, using WINE)

You will need MDAC 2.8 and Jet 4.0 from Microsoft to run ELKRP software. The ELKRP Guru says that he has heard of other people having problems running Microsoft emulators on Linux but did not have any suggestions because he is not a Linux person.

Ok, I got that same error ( installed Mint and Wine just to test this). I installed MDAC 2.8 without any errors, and got the same error again . However, I kept clicking NO, and eventually you get the dialogbox where you can point it to the right location. I pointed it to OPS.DB (instead of Ops.db, not sure if a Wine environment is case sensitive), and it prompted me for the DB password. Since this was a brand new ElkRP install, I couldn't remember what the default was, so I didn't get any further.

Well, perhaps the Wine environment has an NTFS "emulator" with case sensitivity added to NTFS...? Weird...

I guess I'll try it out myself... Thanks!

You will need MDAC 2.8 and Jet 4.0 from Microsoft to run ELKRP software. The ELKRP Guru says that he has heard of other people having problems running Microsoft emulators on Linux but did not have any suggestions because he is not a Linux person.
Actually, Wine is not an emulator.

Think of Wine as a compatibility layer for running Windows programs. Wine does not require Microsoft Windows, as it is a completely free alternative implementation of the Windows API consisting of 100% non-Microsoft code, however Wine can optionally use native Windows DLLs if they are available. Wine provides both a development toolkit for porting Windows source code to Unix as well as a program loader, allowing many unmodified Windows programs to run on x86-based Unixes, including Linux, FreeBSD, Mac OS X, and Solaris.

Source: www.winehq.com

Update:

I can't get MDAC 2.8 installed under Wine, saying that the operating system is not supported. Moving msvcrt.dll doesn't help, though.

Back