Excellent deal at newegg

Sacarino

So I've been in the market for a decent receiver that has RS232 control so I can drive it from HS... Previously, I've settled for IR and crossed my fingers that it all worked as planned. Anyway, I have been shopping around for receivers for a while and stumbled upon this gem at Newegg: the Onkyo TX-SR706, a 7.1 THX certified receiver with HDMI switching (4 inputs!) and the ability for a second zone to utilize a second source... with a RS232 port. :) It upconverts other input signals (composite, s-video, component) to HDMI @ 1080p as well.

The very cheapest regular price I found for this was ~$539 at Tiger Direct, but Newegg has it for $499 with a coupon (RECEVIER82X5). On top of that, if you go to www.bing.com/shopping and search for Newegg, a sponsored link on the right hand side allows you an additional 10% off via the Bing cashback program if you start at the link before you purchase the receiver. (I had to use IE to see it, it was missing with Firefox but that was probably due to my various adblock filters.) On top of THAT, the egg has free 2-day UPS ground shipping on this item.

So, all said and done, you can get a THX-certified, multi-zone, multi-source, HDMI switching, controllable receiver delivered to you for 445 bones out of your pocket. The $50 coupon from Newegg expires tonight, so if you're interested you should act quickly.

Anyway, thought I'd share. Enjoy!

edit: sorry, newegg item # is N82E16882120107 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882120107)

Sounds like a great deal. I have near completed my HD update except for the reciever. I wanted multizone, upconverting etc....having an RS-232 is great! I had also been looking at Denon.

I am wondering if ethernet will be an option on these mid priced receivers soon?

The Ethernet connection is what separates this mid range Onkyo like the 706 from the higher end receivers. Onkyo starter networked receiver starts at $1100 for the TX-NR807 (according to the Onkyo site). Anyways I have a TX-SR706 and I love it. The main reason I bought it was its great specs for a mid level receiver, but also the rs232 port. It is so easy to program this port! Not only can you control receiver features via serial, but you can also query and receive status changes.

PS : PM me if anyone needs the rs232 protocol for the TX-SR706.

The ethernet connection is really a wish for a mid range priced MM receivers.

IE: like RS-232 and HDMI upconverting was really only available in the mid-high to higher priced receivers a couple of years back. Historically my receiver purchases were based on the audio specs and typically over the last 30 years would spend $800-1500. The last receiver I purchased as an update was relating to have the ability to use multizone and playback digital media (Dolby 5.1).

As we move faster into utilizing networked media content it would be a wise move for companies like Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, Yamaha etc to include such basics in a MM receiver such as good audio specs, HDMI upconverting, etc in a mid range receiver.

If you don't mind refurbished units. I have received some great deals at http://www.shoponkyo.com. Many times they also have a sale where you can take an additional 10% off. I needed 3 zones so I went with the Onkyo 805 last year.

Have fun with your new receiver.

Rod

Excuse my ignorance, but I'm confused if receivers like this one only distribute one 7.1 source at a time to multiple zones, or can each zone receive different 7.1 source ?

Excuse my ignorance, but I'm confused if receivers like this one only distribute one 7.1 source at a time to multiple zones, or can each zone receive different 7.1 source ?

It depends on the receiver, I've found. Some multizones might do what you say, otherwise might send 7.1 to zone 1, 5.1 to zone 2, and stereo to zone 3. Others (like this one) only output a stereo signal to zone 2. As you go up the price ladder, the "gee whiz" factor seems to go up exponentially. A great place to do really indepth research on the options is Crutchfield... they have an excellent website with all sorts of information on it.

Today I can listen and control second zone independant from the primary zone. Anything plugged into the MM receiver can be directed to the second zone. The second zone speakers are just stereo.

My last LCD purchase was from Crutchfield. I updated the size of my LCD the day after I placed the order. They were very good relating to the change. Their customer service is great. There prices are a bit high though. I have spoken to their techs relating to MM receivers. They are well informed and helpful.

Back