Existing analog cameras.. ip adapter?

wkearney99

I'm debating what to do with some analog cameras I have installed.  They're feeding into a Swann DVR and I'm not "unhappy" with it.  But I'd like some more options for remote access than their firmware offers.  If I move to a blueiris kind of setup, what options exist to make use of existing cameras?  As in, a multi-camera input interface?  Preferably USB as I'm thinking of using a small form factor PC for this.

Otherwise I wander down the road of changing the cameras out to IP.  I do have some CAT5E running out to those locations, so it wouldn't take much to change them.  But I already have stuff and don't "need" to improve on the picture quality itself just yet.

Just connect the analog cameras to an Axis server and use them as IP cameras.

You can today purchase a cheapo 8 port analog to digital box for less than $50 on Ebay.

Here started with ZM a few years back and used an 8 chip video capture card for my analog cameras which worked well for ZM.  Wondering if you could do similar with a Blue Iris server.

Here is the one I used (which I think was a clone).

Kodicom 8800

KMC8800.jpg

It was a PITA to originally set up ZM to work with the capture card.  It helped me understand Linux a bit more at the time.

Transition started with coaxial / Siamese cable and two cat5e cables per camera. I then switched from using the coaxial to cat5e video baluns. Then to IP with first SD IP cameras and later to IP POE IP cameras.

Easy transition.

There was analog less noise on the baluns versus the coaxial cable.  I was also taking the analog signal and amplifying it for use with the HAI Omnitouch touch hub (Omnitouch 5.7's).  In the mix was a Grandstream encoder / decoder which combined IP cameras for viewing on the Omnitouch 5.7.  (to keep with the old converted IP to analog and analog to IP)

Pick up Axis blades or single encoders. Put them on your network and call it a day.  Some of the single channel encoders aren't much bigger than something like a Siemon Zmax end.

Yes, that's the kind of gizmo that would work.  Get the inputs converted to network sources, independent of host adapters and specific software.  

If Swann has the capability then just connect Blue Iris to it to at least try it out. I was able to test BI with my Q-See (made by dahua?) analong DVR.

I don't know that anything connects into the Swann setup.  But that's a good idea.  I mean, it's already working, it's just tedious trying to integrate it with anything else.  I'd like some more options for quickly bringing up the video elsewhere in the house and on devices.  My thought is a BI setup might give me a little more versatility, now and over time.  Versus a largely abandoned embedded firmware solution.  Most of these boxes never see updates, let alone any added features.  Don't get me wrong, I like set-and-forget hardware most of the time.  But when it comes to integrating multiple solutions having something with active development going on is nice.

Actually, I'd get away from the Swann stuff....just consumer level hardware.

An Axis encoder is going to be the most universally supported, but be prepared for them to sunset the device in about 3-5 years. They'll still repair for another couple after that, but then you're at the point of really considering replacement due to technology.

As far as recording, I just had some vendors from Aimetis here for a customer demo. Really nice stuff that I've dealt with so far. Not too pricey either. We were using an E4000 as a demo unit and have a ton of their thin clients installed at one site. Work really well.

Back