False PIR Motion Alarms

mjmatt

I have an Elk M1 Gold system and a GE PIR motion detector under a lanai area that looks out through the lanai to the pool area. I get false alarms when armed to away mode during the day and what I surmise is that the sun reflecting off the water sets it off. When system is armed in night instant mode everything seems to be alright.

I assume I need to invest in a good dual tech (Infr/Micro) motion sensor. If this is correct, what good ones work with the latest ELKM1 Gold system? Any comments or help is greatly appreciated. Also where is the best place to purchase one if this is the case?

Another option is to install a second motion detector at a 90 degree angle on another zone input and activate the "Cross Zone" feature. Both motion detectors must activate within a time window to activate the alarm.

Some suggestions:

1. Move the PIR so it looks in instead of out.

2. I like Optex DX40/60 models.

3. Any PIR should work with an M1.

4. I buy directly from distributors since I'm in the business. I'm sure you can find an online distributor that sells to the general public.

5. Good luck.

Depending on the amount of reflection and glazing you have in the room, it may be difficult to make a PIR reliable. Go with dual-tech(usually you get what you pay for) from any of the suppliers(Automated outlet, worthington, setnet, etc). Alternatively you can look into other ways to protect the room. Perhaps a reflected-beam device across an opening, or a pulsar/floor mat to detect pressure on the floor. Or try placing motion detectors on the paths to/from the room instead of in the room with windows facing the pool.

Back