Finding an Elk installer

I live in northern NJ (NYC Metro). I am building a new home and want to do mostly DIY HA but have a pro install the security system, an Elk M1. So I write the Elk folks asking for installers in my area. They promptly write back with nice list of NJ/NY installers. Problem is, none of them are. Most were defunct, the others were in businesses other than home security who wouldn't want to deal with or weren't installers at all. Of the three who were in 30 miles of me, one is a web hosting company, one changed it's name and is a PC retail store and the other is a Harlem landlord (the website given links to his online family photo album). Obviously, in the last case, the guy signed up as a "dealer" to get the wholesale price.

This is clearly not a "dealer network." Am I doing this the wrong way? Do I get a local A/V installer to do this? I am grateful for any ideas.

Art, I wish I was in your area to help you out! Maybe you should consider an On-Q HMS? There may be an installer in your area, but then again, who knows! Good luck my friend.

...Obviously, in the last case, the guy signed up as a "dealer" to get the wholesale price.

This is clearly not a "dealer network." Am I doing this the wrong way? Do I get a local A/V installer to do this? I am grateful for any ideas.

Just to clarify a little; Elk is VERY supportive of the DIY market, which is a VERY good thing. Many "non-installers" (DIY'ers) are signed up in the "dealer network" in order to receive access to future firmware upgrades, etc. (Not necessarily wholesale pricing.) So I suppose it is a website design limitation as much as anything else.

That said, I actually would like to suggest that you consider hiring out the sensor wiring runs (if you are uncomfortable with that part), but "install" the elk panel yourself.

It is ridiculously easy.

When my home was built, the electrical contractor installed a locked "mini" security system on spec...in hopes of getting the future monitoring contract (I didn't even ask for this).

I was able to remove it, and install the elk in its place in approximately 2 to 3 hours...simply reusing all the existing runs and sensors (replacing the alarm bell and the keypad).

So basically, you can get ANY local security company or electrical contractor to run the sensor wiring (and even install the sensors; i.e., door/window contacts, motions, smokes, etc.) to support a "future" panel. You just need to plan ahead where to terminate everything (just like with the coax and cat5e).

I am also looking at buying an elk. I was wondering if there was a big difference between wired and wireless security systems. My house is newly built and was setup for wireless security by the builder(Has one box with a plate over it). How expensive would it be for some to run the wires versus me using wireless devices?

Thanks

Jason

Hard to say without seeing the house, but also keep in mind that it's not just the initial wiring, it's also the battery replacement eveyr few years. That could be a PITA.

Well my house is 2200 square feet. All one level with a bonusroom over the garage. It is on concrete. I am just trying to get an idea of pros and cons of each

Thanks,

Jason

Well my house is 2200 square feet. All one level with a bonusroom over the garage. It is on concrete. I am just trying to get an idea of pros and cons of each

Thanks,

Jason

Sounds like mine--EXACTLY in fact.. well, 2600ft^2 is all. Mine was prewired by Brinks and there's a BHS3000 system can in the master closet and 2 keypads. AUGH! Hate brinks, hate the idea of 3 year contracts, etc.

okay, okay. Naturally I was around alot during the construction--found the sensor wires dropped through the headers and outside walls, etc. Depending on the roof slants and your willingness to hang out in the attic dropping wires and fishing through exterior walls...well, you might (IMO) stay with wireless for now, and slowly move over to wired as you get the urge. Depending on the number of doors and windows, it's not going to be a weekend job.

I'm planning on pulling the Brinks can and keypads in favor of an ELK, ethernet and Zwave, but working out cost issues :) might get about $10 for it on Ebay. :) For glassbreak and interior motion will most likely be wireless, depending on $$ and availability, etc.

Good Luck!

Normally, I vote you suck it up and hire someone to run the wires. Even if it's $100/wiring run (doubt it, that's a ton) plus $20 for the wired sensor, that's $120. Wireless would be $40-$60ish, but more of a headache in the long run.

Only thing I dunno is wiring those windows, where you'd mount the sensor, and how you'd avoid A/C lines. That's where I opted for wireless.

I feel that I could wire it by myself, but i am hesitant because of the wife factor. Most of the places are very accessable but i probably should get a professional to do it.... Just hate spending money extra money for that.

You could split the difference - punch the holes in the sheetrock & mount sensors, run wiring yourself (assuming no h/v lines nearby), then get a pro to come in and do the mudding/sheetrock repair.

I just went and surveyed the attic lol. What ever i do probably will be in stages. We just moved in and are expecting our 2nd child. I just wish this stuff was not so expen$ive!

Thanks,

Jason

I live in northern NJ (NYC Metro). I am building a new home and want to do mostly DIY HA but have a pro install the security system, an Elk M1. So I write the Elk folks asking for installers in my area. They promptly write back with nice list of NJ/NY installers. Problem is, none of them are. Most were defunct, the others were in businesses other than home security who wouldn't want to deal with or weren't installers at all. Of the three who were in 30 miles of me, one is a web hosting company, one changed it's name and is a PC retail store and the other is a Harlem landlord (the website given links to his online family photo album). Obviously, in the last case, the guy signed up as a "dealer" to get the wholesale price.

I believe there is a ELK Installer in Long Island in Oceanside or Long Beach. Not sure if he would go to NJ. If he is on the list you might check him out as someone told me that he is very good. I myself have never done any business with him and only heard he is good.

Back