Firmware Help Needed

Jimbo55

Tried to update to the latest firmware.
Only got to 1% done & the connection disconnected.

Now the M1 won’t work at all.
After numerous attempts at updating with new and previous firmware versions nothing has worked.
I just keep getting the same error message after 1% done then - disconnection

Error programming flash memory. System may not operate unless flash memory is complete.

System M1G
Hardware ver. 0.13
Boot ver. 3.3.2
Firmware 5.1.20

Tried to update to the latest firmware.
Only got to 1% done & the connection disconnected.

Now the M1 won’t work at all.
After numerous attempts at updating with new and previous firmware versions nothing has worked.
I just keep getting the same error message after 1% done then - disconnection

Error programming flash memory. System may not operate unless flash memory is complete.

System M1G
Hardware ver. 0.13
Boot ver. 3.3.2
Firmware 5.1.20

All Good .
ALL fixed. My solution - scap the usb connection and connect the old fashion way.
Worked flawlessly .
Even though no one had any suggestions .

Thanks for listening :(

Thanks for the update!

I bet you would have gotten a response right away if you mentioned you were using a USB serial adapter :( I assume this means you do not have an M1XEP installed? USB serial adapters really seem to be problematic.

Thanks for the update!

I bet you would have gotten a response right away if you mentioned you were using a USB serial adapter ;) I assume this means you do not have an M1XEP installed? USB serial adapters really seem to be problematic.

No I don't have a M1XEP installed but will be going down that path soon.
And yes I should have mentioned the USB connection.

Another lesson for me.

Cheers Dan

What make/model is your USB adapter, and what OS did you use (for documentation purposes)? ELK does sell a USB-serial adapter which they approve for use with the ELK M1, but using any adapter besides that one seems to be a big gamble.

What make/model is your USB adapter, and what OS did you use (for documentation purposes)? ELK does sell a USB-serial adapter which they approve for use with the ELK M1, but using any adapter besides that one seems to be a big gamble.

Sorry for the delayed response Dan.

I purchased the cable through eBay from Hong Kong. No specific brand name. Comes with cable adapter and software.
I tested the cable in 2 different PC's and 2 Notebooks, Running Vista and XP. Same outcome, just
Disconnects after a short time.

I was looking to save a dollar thinking a cable is just a cable.

Cocooners learn from my mistake.

USB_to_Serial.jpg

I was looking to save a dollar thinking a cable is just a cable.

I had the opposite effect, trying to upgrade the firmware in my ECM-1240. I had the expensive cable, but it was unreliable: Paul suggested a cheapy one and it worked.

Just wanted to add my experience to this thread. I had exactly the same experience as the original poster. Attempted a firmware upgrade via a USB-Serial cable and failed after 1%.

"Error programming flash memory. System may not operate unless flash memory is complete"

Fortunately I saved my configuration in Elk-RP prior to attempting the upgrade (which I really regret doing in the first place now). I'm hunting down a PC with a serial port to reload the firmware, which is not an easy task in 2012! Hopefully everything loads correctly & I can get back on track with programming soon.

Lesson learned: Avoid the USB-Serial cables (unless it's from Elk) and interface via Serial or Ethernet (M1XEP).

Cheapie's tend to have issues, no if's and's or but's.

I've found Aten and Keyspan to be the best for the applications I've had to use them in, as well as recommended by many manufacturers.

I've also been using this one for some time now - that model has never failed me - and I've bought a lot of them - for my HA machine and for myself and all my technicians who need to be able to console into switches/routers/enclosures.

Back