Fox Bus

KarlTownsend

My application is for weather monitoring of an apple orchard. I need to log leaf wetness, temperature, and rainfall. This information can be used to reduce pesticide applications, especially fungicides.

The required wiring runs are very long, 300 to 400 yards and connot be daisy chained. It looks to be beyond the specs. for 1-wire.

I'm wonderring if fox-bus, http://www.ibuttonlink.com/PDFs/Using%20Fox-Bus.pdf is the answer. Other suggestions?

I need to direct bury wiring to the sensors. CAT-5 at Home Depot etc. is for indoor. Would direct bury telehone service wire be a good choice? other suggestions?

Karl

My application is for weather monitoring of an apple orchard. I need to log leaf wetness, temperature, and rainfall. This information can be used to reduce pesticide applications, especially fungicides.

The required wiring runs are very long, 300 to 400 yards and connot be daisy chained. It looks to be beyond the specs. for 1-wire.

I'm wonderring if fox-bus, http://www.ibuttonlink.com/PDFs/Using%20Fox-Bus.pdf is the answer. Other suggestions?

I need to direct bury wiring to the sensors. CAT-5 at Home Depot etc. is for indoor. Would direct bury telehone service wire be a good choice? other suggestions?

Karl

Karl,

First off I wouldn't use telephone cable. 1-Wire really likes CAT5 best so I would find some direct burial CAT5 especially since you are going to have extra long runs.

I have seen the Fox-Bus before but I'm not real familar with it but I do know that their Link product seems to work well with difficult 1-Wire installations.

Eric

I had to link two buildings on my property with roughly 250ft of cat 6 and RG6.

I put the wires in schedule 40 pvc pipe which is fairly cheap for each 10ft section.
It also keeps all cable dry and keeps me from cutting them in two with a shovel.
I dug a shallow trench with a pick and buried the pvc.

cat 6 has better wire separation and management and is not that much more than cat 5, it may be better for your super long runs.
You can get 1000' long spools at cables to go.

cat 6 has better wire separation and management and is not that much more than cat 5, it may be better for your super long runs.
You can get 1000' long spools at cables to go.

I want to use a whole 1000 foot roll. I was thinking of direct bury cat5 sense telephone is not reccomended.

I've heard for cat5e but not cat6, what's the difference? Just a better grade of the same thing?

Karl

Back