Future of the Internet

DavidL

CNN article on the future of the Internet:
http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/internet/09/26/internet.future/

...And how's this for a real-world prophecy:

"Everything, including coffee pots, home lighting, alarm systems, autos and heart pacemakers, will have a secure IP [Internet protocol] address and be able to be controlled by the owner," wrote Schmidt. "RFID [radio frequency identification tags] will know when you use up the last bag of corn, add it to your e-shopping list, and transmit it to the grocery store for you the next time you go shopping or if you elect to do home delivery."...

How's that for future thinking? We just have to polish up our HA stuff a little bit and we are there!

There needs to be more IP based devices. Cat5 is just easy to use. Just buy a big, nice fancy network switch, and your all set. Patch panels are easy to make look nice too.

Everything, including coffee pots, home lighting, alarm systems, autos and heart pacemakers, will have a secure IP [Internet protocol] address and be able to be controlled by the owner

er, while if I had a pacemaker I'm sure it would be cool to bring up its stats on my MCE machine, but wouldn't this be an example of things to not have to control? Take a hint from nature....

(Doh! Forgot to turn the pacemaker back on this morning!)

Chas821 said:
Or even worse....your pacemaker gets hacked by your ex-wife!
I certainly wouldn't run Internet Explorer on MY pacemaker!

Maybe we could get "HomeSeer - Pacemaker Edition".

Or you could stream business information from CNN and give whole new meaning to the expression "stock ticker"....

And of course, you'd have HS adjust the heartrate depending on whether the market is up or down.

;)

Back