GE/CADDX vs. DSC

Photon

I'm looking into security systems with emphasis on security rather than home automation. Elk is my cost-is-no-object choice, but cost is an object. I've been looking at systems based on the GE/CADDX NX8-e and recently started investigating the DSC Power 864 systems. They seem similar in cost and features, as well as expandability. I have seen numerous references to the CADDX system being a chore to program with a lack of tech support and documentation. I have not seen these comments for the DSC systems, and several retailers even offer programming assistance.

I intend to install the system myself, and I believe I can handle either system. I have programmed in machine language and assembly language for some really basic controllers, but I had excellent documentation on hand for both. I would like to look at this as fun rather than a chore.

Are there really any significant differences in the two product lines? Can anyone recommend one over the other?

If you are doing security in your home, the GE or DSC both good solutions. If you want to do security and higher end automation, you might consider the ELK EZ8, which is a lower cost version of the M1.

Photon,

I bought my Ge Caddx N8e from Worthington Distribution and have integrated it into my JDS Stargate with no problems.

The manual that came with my Caddx was very informative and had reasonable depth. I did have to read several section a number of times to fully understand the directions, but I did not have any major headaches.

I also integrated an additional 16 input board into the Caddx without any problems.

I have had the Caddx installed for about a year and have yet to have any problems.

Works great with the Stargate if you already have one.

Regards,
TCIII

Thank you both for your responses. I hope someone with DSC experience chimes in as well.

Sorry - I don't have any DSC experience, but I can tell you I've been real happy with my GE Networx (used to be Caddx) system. I installed it myself, and it's run without a hitch for about 2 years now. I have 30 hardwired zones (motion, glass break, windows, and doors) and 6 wireless zones (windows I couldn't get to with wire).

The only issue I've ever had was one of my windows was on the threshold of range (receiver in basement, window at farthest point on second floor). It worked for months, and then would suddenly say it couldn't find the transmitter. Open/close the window and it would start working fine again. I eventually put a wired sensor in and have had no problems.

Programming is not intuitive, but it's not difficult. I only have the keypad, have not tried software for it.

Communications to other systems is a piece of cake and very reliable. I thought the cost for the system was quite reasonable as well.

Thanks for your comments. I think I'll go through the Networx manuals again. Perhaps I've read of more GE/CADDX issues than DSC simply because so many more forum members use GE than DSC.

As far as DSC goes it is a fairly good system, of course like anything else there are some that are a little bit different or better depending on your view point. The programing is not bad. One thing that it does not have is that you can not program it to dial your cell phone and speak to you. You can have it dial a pager. It you plan on having the system monitored by a central staion you will not have to worry about that. If you decide to go with it and have a problem I can talk you through it pretty quick.

I have had DSC systems and they have been dependable, I had only one problem in 10 years and that was a blown bridge rectifier in the system board. This was a factory error of using a 100 volt part instead of the 1000 volt part. This was under the 1 year warranty, but they wouldn't replace it and I had to buy a new system board.

Their real problem is they offer no service to any do it yourselfer. Warranty service is available to dealers only. Don't even try to contact them as they won't answer you.

The additional automation board is very reasonable and works well, I ran all sorts of things from it. The phone control is a nice feature. I might add thought the programming is rather tricky. The documentation of the programming is very confusing and contains many errors.

I presently have a Elk M1G, and Elk does offer service and has internet access and does respond to do it yourselfers. The system is far more programmable, but might be overkill for some.

Cliff s

I think both are about the same to program and operate. I think a caddx designer defected to DSC or vise versa. On both panels go to program = *8, Code change = *5, View trouble = *2 and so on. The early NX8 panels had a bad habit of losing the fist few digits of the central station phone number after a close lightning strike. I have seen this happen on five separate occasions. I don't know if they fixed it because I moved to the ADEMCO and DSC product.

Really, I would just go with what feels good to you. When you work with a product on a regular basis you just get comfortable with it. I just put in my first ELK M1 this month and it works/looks great but I just don't know it well enough to be comfortable with it. Of course I install about 15 DSC systems a month and I can program them in my sleep. Look at the features you want and given time you can program anything.

Thanks for your replies. Now I've discovered DSC has a new product line with manuals that are even easier to understand, so that is likely the direction I'll go.

Just thought I'd chime in with my experience with Caddx. When integrating it into a HA solution, there seems to be a much larger presence of software support for the GE Caddx NetworX panels than with the DSC.

HomeSeer supports both though.

Photon,

How did this turn out? I am looking at a security system myself and would love to get some feedback on what you went with. I would love an Elk myself but the $600 plus sensors and options is just a little more than I want to spend. I can pick up a DSC for about 1/3 that.

I myself will end up using a lot of wireless sensors at least initially. I have many very challenging places to wire, so that isn't really an option to start.

Any feedback is appreciated.

piperpilot

I would probably lean toward the GE simply because whatever sensors you get for it will be compatible with Elk if you decide to upgrade later. If you go with a proprietary wireless system then you will be stuck with it.

Photon,

How did this turn out? I am looking at a security system myself and would love to get some feedback on what you went with. I would love an Elk myself but the $600 plus sensors and options is just a little more than I want to spend. I can pick up a DSC for about 1/3 that.

I myself will end up using a lot of wireless sensors at least initially. I have many very challenging places to wire, so that isn't really an option to start.

Any feedback is appreciated.

piperpilot

PiperPilot, not long after the initial exchanges in this thread my life was changed when I stuck my truck through the side of a van that ran a red light. I've had plenty of time to ponder what I expected to do with a security system, and I decided I am more interested in home automation than I initially thought. I hope I can soon do things I used to take for granted like walk unassisted and maybe climb a step ladder to pull cable. I plan to order the basics of an Elk system after a vacation in January. I'll experiment with that for a while and then order some expansion boards and set up a real system. I really enjoyed reading this forum while I was laid up, and I decided with a support medium like this I would not be satisfied with a "lesser" system.

For what it's worth, I previously decided on the GE Networx/Caddx system over DSC largely for the reason in Steve's advise.

Good luck with your system. Let us know how it goes.

Back