"Geek-Free Home Automation" PCmag article

Wayne, that quote sure made me laugh and it looks like it was written by someone who's been there... Its funny because of an element of truth in it.

As a father of a teenager and two more right behind him, I think this is the best line in that article:

But even if this automation arrives too late to provide you with a romantic evening, perhaps your teenage children will thank you.

WayneW said:
http://eletters.pcmag.com/zd1/cts?d=81-996...-123869-90583-1

One of life's ironies is that those of us who can dim the living-room lights and switch the stereo to soft jazz at the press of a single button are probably the geeks who can't get a date and take advantage of the romantic atmosphere.
I would like to apply for the position of poster child for this cause. :)

I found the following quote interesting:

True home automation is about audio, video, security, and the Internet—as well as romantic lighting. Imagine a $200 Wi-Fi Pocket PC three years from now—bridged to Insteon, ZigBee, or Z-Wave—controlling your video, music, and lights and even browsing the Web. But even if this automation arrives too late to provide you with a romantic evening, perhaps your teenage children will thank you.

As far as the user is concerned, his "three years from now" is a reality now. OK, so my wifi PDA cost $250 instead of $200. But, I can control all of this stuff from it now. It may be going to X10 right now (instead of insteon, zigbee, or z-wave) but that doesn't really matter. If I want the lights to dim, how I tell them to dim is important (not the actual hardware that does it). Through something like HomeSeer, once I decide to upgrade from x10, it should be transparent to the end user.

Speaking of the 3 year plan, look in the discussions for the article...Rick has already told them it is available today!

Yea HomeSeer!

I don't know about any of you but I have a hard time trying to convince people the advantages and power of HA. They all think its a 'geek thing' and a waste.

What made the difference for me is when I implemented MainLobby as the front end to the system. When stangers can walk up to a touchscreen and figure out how to select music, control lighting, preview movies to watch and check the weather without me telling them how, that is when it clicks.
Of course they don't appreciate what it takes to make it simple until I show them the wiring closet....

theAberdeenKid,
I'm in the same boat. I have only personally met a couple of people in my life that understand this hobby. I wonder why it strikes some of us and not others?

I wonder why it strikes some of us and not others?

Isn't that what they say about lunacy?

I even tried to put into a different perspective, such as when used for an elderly or handicapped person to help them with daily life and safety. But still people think I have this HA for some sort of party trick...they have no idea.

I have a couple people that I have chatted with via HA / HT forum's that I found out worked in the same building that I do. We somewhat regularily trade emails on the subject now.

HA and to some extend HT have to be a hobby due to the very significant time investment to "save" labor. This is of course unless you have some big bucks to pay for someone elses labor and a Crestron / AMX setup. When more OOB solutions are available that make sense to non hobbiest, I think we will have more company.

Whenever I discuss home automation with "normal" people, I stress on the point that this is mostly a hobby, just like some others like miniature trains or other such activities that are more fun to do then serve any real useful prupose. But then when I add the fact the security aspect of having a house that looks lived in when I'm gone, plus the energy saving functions, it suddenly doesn't appear so futile...

Back