Geek Video Doorbell Intercom $89

WayneW

Has anybody used one of these?
http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=VI...-_-GEEKBELLmain

The door camera is 1/3" CCD, which sounds surprisingly good. I am thinking that it may be a way to get a camera mounted at the door that has a higher WAF than a naked (i.e. ugly) camera? My other idea was to try and hide a pinhole camera inside a decoration hanging near the door? I want something good for faces as I plan to have an eave mounted camera for overall viewing.

The display is 4" CRT, but LCD would be nicer. I bet I could hack into the video cables to make it display the picture from other cameras also.

I haven't gotten to that point yet, but I was considering something similar to a standard camera mounted under the eaves of the roof pointing diagonally down towards the door. Not as much of a closeup as a door camera or one mounted closer, but I had gotten some feedback from someone who had installed that type of setup a few times with positive results.

I was then going to modulate it so it could be pulled up on various tv's. That could be taken further to pause something being watched currently and show the shot from the camer as PIP or full screen when the door bell rings.

I was also planning on tying in other outdoor IR cameras for the sides/back of the house as well in a similar modulated manner (or tied in with a PC/DVR type approach).

Regardless, since I was going to have to open up the walls a bit to run wire for a keypad near the door I was going to run the additional wires for door strike, door phone with enough 'backup/conductors' for camera if I needed it (as you know better to have the wire and not need it, than to need it and not have it) later.

Mike said:
I haven't gotten to that point yet, but I was considering something similar to a standard camera mounted under the eaves of the roof pointing diagonally down towards the door. Not as much of a closeup as a door camera or one mounted closer, but I had gotten some feedback from someone who had installed that type of setup a few times with positive results.

I was then going to modulate it so it could be pulled up on various tv's. That could be taken further to pause something being watched currently and show the shot from the camer as PIP or full screen when the door bell rings.
i've done that & it works pretty well. see attached picture of the ups guy on my porch yesterday.

the camera is modulated & shows up in PIP when someone walks onto the porch.

Attachments

• 10_05_05_18_03_14po.jpg
    10_05_05_18_03_14po.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 27
Here's a shot of my front door cam (refreshed every couple of seconds):

capture4.jpg

It also has a microphone built in for audio, picked up this camera at Home Depot for $50.

Back