Gigabit Router

noshali

Hi,

Need recommendations on a router that is gigabit. Don't need more than 4 ports and it is not for gaming.

Looking forward to hearing from all.

regards,

Do you mean a broadband router with an integrated gigabit switch?

Or a router that actually routes a gigabit speeds?

Let me know,
Shawn

Looking for a router (not a switch) that has at least 4 ports and can be connected to my cable modem.

regards,

Why couldn't you just get a regular router, then connect it to a gigabit switch, and connect your high-bandwidth stuff to the switch?

IVB said:
Why couldn't you just get a regular router, then connect it to a gigabit switch, and connect your high-bandwidth stuff to the switch?
I did that...but none of the stuff shows as being connected at Gigabit speed. My pcs are all gigabit and I have 2 PCs connected to the gigabit swithc and they still show running at 100M instead of 1000M

regards,

You may want to check the settings. I have a regular router and gigabit switches for the equipment that can handle it and they show up as gigabit.

I'd bet it is a setting issue. If the wiring is not up to it you may get lower results. I am not sure if the wiring is poor if it will automatically downgrade to 100. (and I suspect those on this board probably have among the better wiring that is out there, so my guess would be a setting).

Mike,

Any idea what settings. Boviously the router won't have them and the switches are just switches with no interface.

regards,

Check your NIC card on each machine. I *think* it's under:
ControlPanel.System.DeviceManager.NetworkCard.Settings.

Try this:

Control Panel | Network Connections | Local Area Connections (double-click on this)

Click properties

Click the configure button next to the nic at the top.

Go to the advanced tab on the window that pops up.

Select on the left hand side the value that says 'Link Speed and Duplex'. Make sure the value on the right says 'Auto-Detect' (or failing that select 1000mbps/Full Duplex).

That will rule out the settings part.

EDIT: IVB is right as well, that will take you to the same screen as well.

I'd figure out why your existing system isn't working at gigabit before spending money on another router. But if you want to spend the money, I've been using Linksys RVS4000 units for its VPN capability, but they have a four-port VLAN-able gigabit switch in them and a bunch of other features, too, for around $130.

Back