Google chromecast or Roku for Spectrum TV?

JimS

Switched to Spectrum TV and need a way to watch on my TVs. Have firesticks but they don't have the Spectrum app. I may be able to cast from my android phone but need to figure out how to do that. but having a nice UI is a plus. Have heard the later Roku 4k sticks UI is smooth and fast. Don't need 4k. Seems like lots of Roku variations available. Any suggestions or user feedback on how well they work? Do they go on sale? I am seeing just under $50 for the Ruko 4k stick.

Roku is the only device that has the Spectrum app. (I have to assume they have signed some sort of exclusivity agreement with Roku because it has been YEARS now without any apps on the other services like Firesticks or Chromecasts). I would definitely suggest the "Roku Streaming Stick 4k" model (or better) even if you don't have a 4k display. That model has enough processing power that everything works nice and quick. Normal price is $50, but they do go on sale pretty regularly to $40 and was even as low as $25 during the 2022 Black Friday sales. If you can wait, I'd definitely recommend waiting for a sale if you are looking to buy one. Normally you won't have to wait long.

And where should I be looking for sales? It does sound like the Roku is best but it's not the only company with the app. This is directly from the spectrum site:
1682444398575.png

Interesting that Roku and a few others are noted to be used only behind their modem while others aren't.

I generally buy my Rokus from Amazon, but if they are on sale at Amazon, they are probably on sale at BestBuy and other electronic stores. I should also note that Roku TVs (smart TVs that use the Roku interface as their "smart" GUI) also work. I have a couple of "Roku TVs" that work great with the Spectrum app. As you noted above, Samsung Smart TVs also support the Spectrum app. I actually have one and can confirm it works just fine.

I always get excited that something has changed when I see something that shows Chromecast as being supported by the SpectrumTV app. However this is not really the case and "support" simply means you can "cast" SpectrumTV to the Chromecast from another device that actually supports SpectrumTV. There isn't a Chromecast Spectrum app like their is on Roku. (I have a Chromecast and can confirm that there is definitely not an app available).

Basically there are three workable options for easily watching SpectrumTV on your television set - using a Samsung smart TV and downloading the app from the Samsung store, getting a Roku TV/ Roku streaming stick and connecting it to the TV and downloading the app from the Roku store, or using the Spectrum app on the XBox One. Using the XBox One doesn't seem like it would be a seamless TV watching experience, but I have never tried it myself. Everything else is a "hack" IMHO and not convenient to use.

Last edited:
I generally buy my Rokus from Amazon, but if they are on sale at Amazon, they are probably on sale at BestBuy and other electronic stores. I should also note that Roku TVs (smart TVs that use the Roku interface as their "smart" GUI) also work. I have a couple of "Roku TVs" that work great with the Spectrum app. As you noted above, Samsung Smart TVs also support the Spectrum app. I actually have one and can confirm it works just fine.

I always get excited that something has changed when I see something that shows Chromecast as being supported by the SpectrumTV app. However this is not really the case and "support" simply means you can "cast" SpectrumTV to the Chromecast from another device that actually supports SpectrumTV. There isn't a Chromecast Spectrum app like their is on Roku. (I have a Chromecast and can confirm that there is definitely not an app available).

Basically there are three workable options for easily watching SpectrumTV on your television set - using a Samsung smart TV and downloading the app from the Samsung store, getting a Roku TV/ Roku streaming stick and connecting it to the TV and downloading the app from the Roku store, or using the Spectrum app on the XBox One. Using the XBox One doesn't seem like it would be a seamless TV watching experience, but I have never tried it myself. Everything else is a "hack" IMHO and not convenient to use.
Thanks for the details. Since they say that Chromecast works and it does that by casting they should also list Firesticks as they can do the same thing. I did that to get spectrum on my LG TV last night. That does answer the question of Chromecast or Ruko for me as casting is not as simple or convenient as you note. I was already leaning toward Ruko. Seems like lots of different models out there - I think I should avoid the express versions but, for example, I see things like "Roku Streaming Stick 4K (2021)" on ebay and also some small boxes that aren't sticks. How important is the release year or if it is the stick version or the small box that sits on a shelf?

I found lots of claims online that the Spectrum app can be made to work with a Firestick or Chromecast. It doesn't - I tried multiple times. I can confirm that it works fine with a Roku. You made the right choice going that way.

Rokus were pretty easy to set up. Got a deal on one from a coworker that had bought a couple and had an unopened one.

Back