HA/Security Choice

Where is David (spanky) when we need him? Does Elk know of anybody that supports or is thinking of supporting central station monitoring via the Elk ethernet module?

WayneW said:
Where is David (spanky) when we need him? Does Elk know of anybody that supports or is thinking of supporting central station monitoring via the Elk ethernet module?
If you are itching to get an answer that badly just call them: :)

Telephone: (800) 797-9355
8:00am to 5:00pm Eastern Time
Monday thru Friday

I've been doing the same. It's unfortunate that I have some things to over the weekend so I'm not going be able to play with this as much as I would like. Regardless I think you know what I will be doing this evening...

Toys.... I've been going over that recent post on projects you can do with the Elk... my time will not be the same for the near future I'm sure.

This will fill an area on my board that was allocated for this quite some time ago...

According to an email from NextAlarm:
We do not have definite plans to support the Elk Internet module at this
time, but we may in the future. At present, each alarm system that has
an Internet communicator needs its own specialized equipment at the
central station. Ademco's Internet communicator needs a special
receiver, Elk's needs a special receiver, DSC's needs a special
receiver, etc. So far, none of these communicators have a very large
install base, so most central stations do not support them. If Internet
alarm communications are standardized in the future, so that one
Internet receiver could handle several types of alarm system, then more
companies will start supporting them.
According to a chat with David from Elk, but not direct quotes:

Elk has plans to enhance their Ethernet module to support existing central stations using Osborne Hoffman, Bosch, and Surgard equipment. I believe that was another free software only upgrade.

This means that you should be able to use a wide variety of central stations, we just need to find a cheap one that doesn't mind DIYers, so maybe NextAlarm or AlarmRelay are in the running. Therefore I think the Elk Ethernet module is getting even more versatile

Well I have it finally.. earlier than I would have thanks to Martin...

I'm really looking forward to programming this thing, although most of the setup will probably be on Sunday.

As of today, the M1XEP and Ethernet monitoring only works with server software installer on a PC that would go in the central station. The next M1XEP software upgrade will include GE's Osborne Hoffman Receivers that have an Ethernet card. Bosch and the rest of the central station receivers will follow.

There is not a Security Industry Association standard yet for Ethernet monitoring, so everyone is doing their own thing as far as a protocol until one of the protocols are adopted as the standard.

Ethernet is a good, secure way of sending messages to the Central Station because it is a supervised connection. If you loose connection, there is a trouble message on the keypad. At least you will find out how good and reliable your Internet connection is.

With the telephone connection, you never knew if you had a problem until a test signal was sent, once a day, week, or never unless you lost telephone voltage.

I could get up on my soap box concerning alarm monitoring via telephone, but I will hold that though for later.

Spanky said:
I could get up on my soap box concerning alarm monitoring via telephone, but I will hold that though for later.
This is a good place for a soapbox rant, so as an industry professional please enlighten us. It seems obvious to me that a reliable broadband connection has many feature advantages over phone lines. But, I think that a phone line (in general, not from a security aspect) is more reliable than residential broadband. Phone monitoring has been around for many years, what is bad about it, other than the prices some charge?

And to plug your own product, can't you monitor a phone line with an ELK-980, Telephone Line Fault Monitor?

Wayne,

You don't need that Elk-980 to monitor the phone line with the Elk. The M1 can do this already. If fact, I do that myself. The M1 checks the phone line every 10 seconds. If it detects a fault, it resets my routers (I use VOIP).

Yeah, I knew that, but not everyone here has purchased an Elk yet. :) Come over to the bright side, Luke.

Most all security controls monitor the telephone voltage for a cut telephone line. The M1 gives you the extra ability of Rules to do things when the telephone line fails like reseting a router power or VOIP modem.

I do the VOIP modem reset in my home when my telephone voltage goes away. Vonage modems take the telephone voltage away when they lock up and the M1 can sense it.

Back