HAI announces availability of the Omnistat2 RC-1000 thermostat

electron

Administrator
Staff member
HAI announced that they are now shipping the new Omnistat2 RC-1000 Single Stage Conventional & Heat Pump Thermostat. It's a pretty sharp looking thermostat!

Omnistat2Advanced.jpg

It comes in 3 colors: black, white and silver. It can control the following equipment:
  • Single stage including Gas, Oil, Steam, Hydronic, Forced Air, Radiant, Electric
  • Single Speed Heat Pumps with auxiliary heat
  • Dual Fuel Heat Pumps
It also supports 2 display modes:

Advanced:
Omnistat2AdvanceDisplay.jpg

Simple:
Omnistat2SimplieDisplay.jpg

I was not able to locate any pricing information.

This is a first class thermostat. We have been working with it for several days now with the M1. It is full of features including a graphical display of energy usage and cost for the HVAC system. The one we have includes relative humidity. All of the information is programmable and readable through the serial port. It uses a programmable baud rate RS-232 port for communication with up to 4 thermostats per port.

Feature packed, nice looking, and priced accordingly.

The advanced energy features will be accessable through the M1 in a future software release.

The specs really do look nice, I would consider one, but I am sure it will be out of my price range.

Spanky,
Will the M1 be able to read the optional external temp sensor data from this thermostat?

robolo

I like the white version of OmniStat2. It's nice to be able to monitor energy consumption of air conditioning!

(*Keeps Wishing -- Keeps Wishing to install my own in my apartment...* Oh...I hate analog thermostats that I currently have... :))

This thermostat supposingly can learn the on/off pattern and optimize the furance/AC, but how exactly does it work? For the humidity, will it report back to the HAI panel what it is? This would be a great feature as the sensor I currently have don't read humidity.

Thanks.

As soon as I can get them up on the site I will but we will have them for less than that:

RC1000* - Single Stage Conventional and Heat Pump (no Humidity Control) - PM Me for Price due to MAP
RC2000* - Single/Multi-Stage Conventional and Heat Pump (w/Humidity Control) - PM Me for Price due to MAP

*BL-Black, SL-Silver, WH-White

Until I can get them up, you can call in any orders.

Thanks,
Barry

I'm building a new home, and am interested in using the RC-2000 thermostat. I've done some simple automation with my current home, but I'm trying to jump in head first on the new construction. I'm planning on an Elk M1 Gold controller, and it mostly looks like the RC-2000 will do what I need, but I still have a couple of questions.

I have 4 HVAC zones. Zones 1, 2, and 3 are controlled by a gas furnace plus heat pump. Zone 4 is controlled by another gas furance and another heat pump. It looks like the RC-2000 is capable of controlling the furnace and heat pump (as well as the humidifier), but I'm confused when it gets to the zoning part. I've read through the installation manual for the RC-2000, and the only zoning example they show is with a single stage heating/cooling system. Is it possible to use a dual stage heat system AND zoning with the RC-2000? Will I need 4 RC-2000 thermostats to make this work (one for each zone) or could I get away with less thermostats and just use remote temperature sensors with the M1? What other hardware am I missing?

My HVAC guy isn't much help; he planned to use the Honeywell Vision Pro Touchscreen Thermostats, but it does not appear that they are remotely controllable via the Elk M1 or any other automation system.

I thought I'd ask the question here since this is mostly related to the RC-2000, but please move this post if it should be elsewhere. Thanks!

You need to check the documentation on your zone controller. My zone controller (Lennox) supports 2 or 4 zones and can use any typical single stage heat/cool thermostat (one per zone). In my previous home the zone controller (brand?) had its own thermostat which controlled all 4 zones. The other zones just had temp sensors. I never tried but with that system it may not have been possible to replace the thermostat.

Back