HAI integration with SONOS & audio zone distribution

chasers03

I have an Omni Pro II for security and home automation (temps and lighting). Have done 900 line of programing so far.

However as I replace all 7 TV's in the house including 2 home theaters, I am being advised by the Magnolia div of Best Buy to include a Sonos 90/120 in each theater as a audio source. Problem if I add HI-FI 2 (11 audio zones) or Russound C5 to the Omni for distribution of audio does it make since to use SONOS as a line in source from the theaters. Or is there a better approach to intergration of my audio with HAI?? Sonos seems to have a good number of music sources and my others are 2000 itunes, and of course what the home theaters Blu Rays / Receivers have to offer.

I have 8- 5.7e's and will use an Ipad & iphone as my remote control. I would like to achieve the maximum benefits of integration ie.
Hi-Fi 2 is available as a standalone Multi-Room Audio system, or can plug and play with HAI's Omni Pro II
"[The HAI home control system can select the source and set the volume for each zone to coordinate the audio system with your activities:
  • Wake up every morning with the news radio station.
  • Set every room to the iPod™ and preset the volumes for a party.
  • When arriving home have the den zone turn on using the satellite radio as its source.
  • Turn the entire system off when leaving the house.
  • Mute bedroom and outdoor zones when it's bedtime.
    Use any of HAI's user interfaces to control Hi-Fi 2, including Touchscreens, consoles, keypads, and software like Snap-Link Mobile for iPhone.
Hi-Fi 2 allows an HAI controller that has a Two-Way Voice Module installed to broadcast system announcements over all zones. The Two-Way Voice Module will allow someone to broadcast messages through the phone by picking it up and dialing #832. If enabled, messages will broadcast through a zone, even if it is turned off.]"

What would you suggest I do? I need someone to guide me thru this delima. Cost is not a obstacle.

Thanks from Steve Chase in SC-- chasers03 at Gmail

I would look down the path of a mac mini for a source of audio. Also purchasing a airport express to be able to stream straight from your apple devices. You can also purchase a DAB+ rack mountable unit for radio and the like. There a few different options you could do. Or just use sonos as some of the inputs and control them via ir via a htx box.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=-38.067269,145.440920

I'm interested to understand why they feel that the Sonos is a good input source? What does it do well and have you actually tried their iOS interfaces? I too was told to consider Sonos as a source, but with all Russound sphere hardware I'm not sure of the benefit. What are your thoughts?
Thanks!

Magnolia Atlanta said that the quality of Sonos was far superior to others including Russound. But what do I know? As to IOS interfaces I have not tried. Sonos doesn't receive IR only commands from their app and they operate only on their unique airwave. My thoughts are that Sonos seems to have a great following and its music sources are beyond most others. 11 of my music zones will be background music which means I don't need a great deal of quality just easy access to variety.

Currenty still a little confused. I am expecting to get HIFi 2's and put to Sonos 90's in the mix.

I am grappling now with Remote Controls for the two theaters. Have heard the HTX is not a very good product. Hoping the HTX2 will be better. Wonder how it does at relating to a URC Remote like the MX 1200 or 850? But this is off the Sonos topic and I'll start another......Thanks to you two for giving input....

What about the Hai Music Gateway? It integrates very well with your 5.7e's, you should also have no issues with your integration goals. RTI remotes would allow you better integration than the URC in my opinion but that is for another topic.

Back